Re: John Kefuss/overwintering in nucs strategy

  • Tjerk van der Meché
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2012

      Hello Sacha and Mike,

      I also tend to start with nucs as early in the season as possible. So that they have time to settle and build up a strong colony. But I did not create the nucs. I decided to wait for the swarms to come. I think that a swarm has the best chances to build a new nest.

       I do agree that I run a great risk of falling back to zero each season. I agree on the point that the good drones should dominate. Hopefully the next season will be better.

      I lost so many colonies due to the bad season in 2011. I could have saved them by starting to feed sugar, but I decided not to do it. When I feed one or two I do have to feed them all to prevent robbing. Second: I think that colonies that are not active enough may also do not harvest enough pollen. I can save them with sugar but in the end the offspring will not get enough protein…

      Best wishes for 2012

      Tjerk

      PS I created an account on facebook. Search for: Natural Selection and the Honeybee

      Or: Honeybees Matter