WHOSE DISCIPLE ARE YOU?

  • Bayo Afolaranmi
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2013
      Dearly Beloved,
      WHOSE DISCIPLE ARE YOU?
      “Let us keep our eyes fixed on Jesus, on whom our faith depends from beginning to end. He did not give up because of the cross! On the contrary, because of the joy that was waiting for him, he thought nothing of the disgrace of dying on the cross, and he is now seated at the right side of God's throne” (Hebrews 12:2 TEV).
      Being somebody who wants to minister to as many people as possible through the Internet, I joined as many Internet groups, forums, blogs, pages, and the likes, and I allow people to add me to their groups, forums, blogs, and pages. Some of these people even made me an administrator/moderator or co-owner of their groups, forums, blogs, or pages. The fact that I am an administrator/moderator or co-owner of any Internet group, forum, blog, or page does not mean that I agree totally with the activities in, or the contents of the Internet group, forum, blog, or page. However, I was embarrassed when I discovered recently that I was made an administrator (and by implication a co-owner) of a Facebook page titled “Disciples of [founder of a denomination].” I could not bear the misrepresentation that the page gave me: that I am a disciple of a man. Never! I am a disciple of only my Lord Jesus Christ. I follow no man no matter how great or good the man was/is!
      Because of their love and admiration for a religious leader, it is a pity that many Christians have turned such leader to a small god. They extremely revere such leader. They behave like the leader. They speak like the leader. At times, they value the leader’s words more than God’s words. They even use the leader’s name to pray to God! While some religious leaders want their followers to do such for them, some are ignorant of the activities of their followers, while some who are aware of such try to dissuade their followers from doing so.
      It is good to revere spiritual leaders. The Bible encourages it. However, there should be a limit to the reverence one would give them. The moment the reverence for them is being place side by side with, or replacing one’s reverence for God, one should be very careful. Apostle Paul advised against this: “...each one of you says something different. One says, ‘I follow Paul’; another, ‘I follow Apollos’; another, ‘I follow Peter’; and another, ‘I follow Christ.’ Christ has been divided into groups! Was it Paul who died on the cross for you? Were you baptized as Paul's disciples?” (1 Corinthians 1:12-13 TEV). Rather, the writer to the Hebrews advised, “Let us keep our eyes fixed on Jesus, on whom our faith depends from beginning to end... ” (Hebrews 12:2 TEV).
      I am not, and will never be, a disciple of any man. I am a disciple of the Lord Jesus Christ. Whose disciple are you?
      In His service,
      Bayo Afolaranmi (Pastor)
      Prayer Point: Lord, help me not to follow any man no matter how good or great he/she may be, but help me to always fix my eyes on You. Amen.

      "I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. FOR TO ME, TO LIVE IS CHRIST AND TO DIE IS GAIN" (Philippians 1:20-21, NIV).