Service Animal Advocate Kathleen Kisselburgh, Rest in Peace

  • LE3293@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2003
      Newspaper Obituary:
      Kathleen G. Kisselburgh died Friday, Aug. 29, 2003, in Home Hospital,
      Lafayette, Indiana. Born May 2, 1955, in Pasadena, Calif., she was
      raised in southern California and resided in Lafayette for the past 12
      years. She attended Pepperdine University, the University of Wisconsin,
      and Purdue University, where she graduated in December 2002. She was
      preparing to enter graduate school at the University of Wisconsin to
      study human-animal interaction in therapeutic and rehabilitation
      services. While in Lafayette she was an active advocate for persons with
      disabilities, and a member of both local and national organizations
      providing training and support for users of assistance and service dogs.
      She was involved in Canine Companions for Independence, Paws with a
      Cause, and the Greater Lafayette Disabilities Coalition. As a national
      board member of the Delta Society and a member of the local Caring Paws
      group, she and her companion dogs (Whisper and Travis) provided
      therapeutic services to the elderly and those with disabilities. She is
      survived by her mother, Marvis Kisselburgh (Rockwall, TX); her siblings,
      Lorraine Kisselburgh (spouse: Howard Zelaznik) of West Lafayette, Robert
      Kisselburgh (spouse: Julianne) of Rockwall, TX, Michael Kisselburgh
      (spouse: Julie Coker) of Argyle, TX, and David Kisselburgh of San Diego,
      CA; and her nieces and nephews, Steven and Michael Zelaznik,
      Christopher, Ashley and Cody Kisselburgh, Lauren and Ross Coker and
      Corey and Lacey Kisselburgh. She is preceded in death by her father,
      David Kisselburgh. In lieu of flowers, contributions in Kathleen's
      memory may be given to the Delta Society, 289 Perimeter Road E., Renton,
      WA 98055-1329 There will be a memorial service at 10 a.m. Tuesday, Sept.
      2, 2003, at Soller-Baker Lafayette Chapel, 400 Twyckenham Blvd.,
      Lafayette, IN, the Rev. Kenneth Ewing officiating.
      ==================
      Fred Cisin <cisin@xe

      But somber events of the last few days preclude that.

      Kathleen Kisselburgh was the foremost expert on service dog law.
      For example, she did the legal research for "the little book",
      and then Michael Roche wrote the wording of the summaries
      (for consistency, and to further his own agenda)

      She and I often discussed legal issues.  We didn't always agree,
      but we were comfortable respecting each other's opinions.

      She loved to do research, and was a stickler for accuracy.
      If you wanted to know the speling of the scientific term
      for an opposition reflex ("thigmotaxis"), you could count on her.

      After a few years of correspondence, we met in Phoenix years ago.
      She wanted to try a laser pointer, I gave her one I didn't need.
      That was the only time that we ever met in person.

      A few years ago, I missed the deadline for registering for the
      banquet of the ADI conference.  I had paid (including very
      substantial late fees) for the conference, and the fees
      included the banquet, but their rules had a rigid deadline
      for the banquet, and I would not be able to go.
      At the last minute, Kathleen was unable to go, and at her
      suggestion, I donned her conference ID badge, and went to
      the banquet in her place.  So, for a few hours, I WAS Kathleen!

      But last week, she crossed a street.  Her dog, "Whisper", is
      still hospitalized, but will recover.  She didn't.

      She was active with internet advocacy as kgsanborn

      We will miss you Kathleen!