The Good News

  • Common Dreams
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12, 2010

      Dear Steve,

      Above my desk where I work is a small peace sign. The familiar symbol is painted with blues and greens, shaded with hues, and surrounded with swirls and textures. My niece was nine when she painted it and gave it to me as a gift.

      Alivia's Peace SignIt is simple, but I cherish it. Frequently, when the news is grim -- as it too often is -- this painting reminds me of why I participate in this thing called Common Dreams. Whatever doubts I have about the world, I know through her that our mission makes sense: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good.

      Here's my opinion: Her longing for peace is the good news. Her goodness and desire for a better world is the good news. That there are millions of nieces and nephews out there is the good news. That our readers and supporters exist is the good news. That we share our dreams, critiques and solutions for a better world is the good news.

      It is because of all this good news that our spirits never falter. Our funding, however, is dependent on generous readers like you who share our vision and support our work. Today, we need you more than ever. The battles ahead may be the toughest yet. We’ve got so much to do, but we need you in this fight. So we ask today, can you help?

      To contribute, you can make a secure, tax-deductible online donation with your credit card, or your Paypal account. Alternatively, you can print our donation form and mail it to us with a check. No gift is too large or too small.

      Thank you for being the best news Common Dreams has to offer. We could never do it without you.

      With deepest appreciation...

      Peace,

      Jon Queally
      Assistant Editor
      on behalf of the whole Common Dreams team

      (Common Dreams is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit. Our EIN is 20-3368194.)

      Or donate by check, payable to Common Dreams at

      Donations
      Common Dreams
      P.O. Box 443
      Portland, ME 04112
      United States

      Include your email address on the check, so we may thank you in the greenest way possible!
      Or print this form to mail in with your check: Mail-In Form.

      If you have any questions about making a gift, contact Lesley@..., or call us at 207-775-0488.
      To browse the latest breaking news on Common Dreams, visit our homepage: www.CommonDreams.org.

      Breaking News & Views for the Progressive Community