Re: [NationalConstitutionalConvention06] Confessions of an Economic Hit Man

  • Michael Bindner
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 15, 2007
      He is likely correct, since it is a first hand account.

      One point I have been making for a few years now is that the American President sees himself as King of the World, especially this particular one.  Given the pre-eminent position he holds in all of our mutual defense treaties, this position is not too much in error.  The reason for popular resistence to the war overseas (way before it gelled here) was that the world is figuring this out and is begining to really resent it.

      The U.S., in the long term, must either disengage from the world and leave it alone or expand its body politic to include its allies, although it would be better to be choosy on who to align with, since some of the governments we deal with are quite distasteful on human rights.

      Either way, regionalization is a necessary step, since any expanded government must be limited to controling the military, establishing a common monetary policy and currency (while leaving much independence for regional policy) and protecting the citizens from tyranny by the regional governments.  BTW, without the last one, even if there were no expansion of the body politic, there are some regions of the U.S. I would rather not live, including where I live now in Virginia.

      Eric Reinhardt <ericreinhardt2003@...> wrote:
      The United States has done some good in the world during the last
      century, most notably defeating Nazi Germany in World War 2 and turning
      Saddam Hussein out of Kuwait in the first Persian Gulf War. However,
      there remains sizeable animosity towards our nation today in many
      foreign quarters and much of this is due to the sharp economic
      practices of some of our investment bankers and industrialists who wish
      to usurp the resources of other nations. A highly recommended book to
      read detailing such practices is Confessions of an Economic Hit Man by
      John Perkins. These same investment bankers and industrialists are also
      responsible for many of the economic maladies also afflicting our
      country.

      http://www.johnperk ins.org

    • Eric Reinhardt
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 16, 2007
        Good points. And dittos with respect to some regions being
        preferrable over others.

        --- In NationalConstitutionalConvention06@yahoogroups.com, Michael