Re: Updated National Constitutional Convention Draft Letter

  • Bill Rood
    Message 1 of 71 , Dec 15, 2006
      Terrence, I'm afraid you're pissin' in the wind. From what I've read on this board since I joined, I'm appalled at the ignorance and denial of decades of US foreign policy based on lies and deception.  Grenada was simply trying to encourage greater tourism by accommodating commercial jets. The medical students there didn't feel threatened until the invasion started. It was simply an example of the "Ledeen Doctrine" that "Every ten years or so, the United States needs to pick up some small crappy little country and throw it against the wall, just to show the world we mean business."

      Here's an article referencing actual poll results in Arab countries that shows that, as far as the Arab street is concerned, the problem is mostly our policies, not our culture. And it's the Arab street that counts, not some crazed program advocated by an incredibly tiny fringe of Moslems. Moslems would be just as justified extrapolating Anne Coulter's opinion that we should kill all their leaders and covert them to Christianity.
      http://www.antiwar.com/lobe/?articleid=10169

      If we would mind our own business and not try to steal or control everyone else's, radical Islam would wither and die on its own. Fortunately, the American people are starting to get it, but that's not apparent from some of the posts to this group:
      http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/articles/home_page/284.php?nid=&id=&pnt=284&lb=hmpg1
    • Eric R
      Message 71 of 71 , Aug 7, 2010
        I'll address your points as I have time, Dan. Thanks for the input.

        With respect to bypassing the states in favor of direct rule by the people due to the fact that the states are in essence controlled by the same special interests(banking, oil etc) that control the federal government, you raise a valid and interesting point. Although I concede this may be true in the majority of cases, the point is that we can also go to the other extreme which is what you and quite a few others seem to favor, and that is direct rule by the people. We've discussed this before and my position is that the bulk of the populace is not in my view sufficiently fit(both in terms of education and ethics/morals) to be governing either(our Founders felt this way too, and this is why they established a REPRESENTATIVE REPUBLIC). That said, almost all state constitutions have state constitutional convention provisions which can and should be utilized to reign in corrupt state governments. In addition, initiative and referendum measures can also be utilized.