Re: [NationalConstitutionalConvention06] Re: Devil's Advocate

  • Robb de Vournai
    Message 1 of 129 , Mar 13, 2006
      U think congress is 1/3 to 1/2 favor change?

      Eric Reinhardt <ericreinhardt2003@...> wrote:
      I've found that many state legislatures mirror the U.S. Congress.
      About 1/3-1/2 of the House are reform oriented, while the remainder
      are the go-along to get along types, many of whom would have no
      qualms selling their grandparents or grandkids if it would positively
      impact their balance sheets. The State Senates also tend to harbor
      more of the go-along to get-along types. A lot of it has to do with
      region too. Some states have more functional legislatures while with
      others bickering is the norm. I pick and choose who I send my draft
      letter to. I'm seeking results . . . not the garbage pail! :)

      --- In NationalConstitutionalConvention06@yahoogroups.com, "Ron"
      <bacchus9@...> wrote:

      > --- In NationalConstitutionalConvention06@yahoogroups.com, "Eric
      > Reinhardt" <ericreinhardt2003@> wrote:
      > >
      > > As per delegates
      > > to a Convention, clearly those voting to have a Convention will
      be
      > > those fed up with the status quo. They will be individuals who
      want
      > > true reform.
      >
      > There in lay the summit we must negotiate. We have been reduced to
      > two-party system, with each vying for power over the other. One
      has
      > only to look at the election laws in nearly all of the states to
      > realize that we are fighting against the status quo. Finding
      enough
      > support in the state legislatures to even call for constitutional
      > convention will be a real battle.
      >
      > > Of course you always have the possibility of a few
      > > status quo types getting in...
      >
      > Yes, I suspect this is true. I also suspect that those "status
      qio"
      > types will be there to change those portions of the Constitution
      > that oppose their political views, like the prohibition against
      > Congress confirm titles of nobility.
      >
      > > but I think the bulk of the delegates
      > > will be those who want to do something meaningful.
      >
      > This will be greatly aided by the people demanding that state
      > legislators vote for a convention, and a new constitution. It may
      > also help if the effort was based on an already existing draft of
      > new constitution. This could serve to direct the efforts of the
      > convention, as well as raise the level of expectations of the
      people
      > who must approve the product of the convention.
      >
      > rhc

      Yahoo! Mail

    • Michael Bindner
      Message 129 of 129 , Sep 18, 2006