Re: Devil's Advocate

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 129 , Mar 13, 2006
      --- In NationalConstitutionalConvention06@yahoogroups.com, "Eric
      Reinhardt" <ericreinhardt2003@...> wrote:

      > As per delegates
      > to a Convention, clearly those voting to have a Convention will be
      > those fed up with the status quo. They will be individuals who want
      > true reform.

      There in lay the summit we must negotiate. We have been reduced to a
      two-party system, with each vying for power over the other. One has
      only to look at the election laws in nearly all of the states to
      realize that we are fighting against the status quo. Finding enough
      support in the state legislatures to even call for constitutional
      convention will be a real battle.

      > Of course you always have the possibility of a few
      > status quo types getting in...

      Yes, I suspect this is true. I also suspect that those "status qio"
      types will be there to change those portions of the Constitution
      that oppose their political views, like the prohibition against
      Congress confirm titles of nobility.

      > but I think the bulk of the delegates
      > will be those who want to do something meaningful.

      This will be greatly aided by the people demanding that state
      legislators vote for a convention, and a new constitution. It may
      also help if the effort was based on an already existing draft of a
      new constitution. This could serve to direct the efforts of the
      convention, as well as raise the level of expectations of the people
      who must approve the product of the convention.

      rhc
    • Michael Bindner
      Message 129 of 129 , Sep 18 6:08 AM