Is this forum being used at all to discuss calling a convention?

  • Michael Bindner
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 29, 2013
      If not, we should end it.  I see a lot of people, including myself, posting a lot of stuff - but no planning or discussion.

      The gay marriage decisions may form the nexus for calling a National Constitutional Convention by the states, however shifting public opinion on this issue may diffuse it so much that when gay marriage is nationalized, less than 34 state legislatures will care to overturn it by amendment (and for all practical purposes - no one will really go for it without 38).

      We still need to find an "in" to request that the Congress reveal their rules for considering convention calls - answering both the question of whether calls expire after the end of a Congress and whether they must all be on the same topic.

      The person to ask the question - who must be answered - is either the governor or leadership of the state legislature of at least one state, asking their members of Congress to investigate.  We can also ask our own congressmen.  So far in doing so I have had no answer.  No member is actually required to answer controversial citizens questions - so it may require groups of citizens in a single state, along with the membership of a state government, to demand an answer.

      Does anyone have the Tea Party connections to use that route?  I don't, but would think that would be the best shot.

      Michael Bindner

      The Blog
    • Eric Reinhardt
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2013
        Thanks for your post, Michael. I just checked and it appears that your last post at this group prior to this one was back in January. That said, I DO know that you have been posting at my LibertyDistricts2008 group. I've been busy with a lot of stuff and often can't get to those---perhaps you have been talking about it there. That said, even if a Convention doesn't materialize, I do believe this group serves a very useful purpose in highlighting the dysfunction and misdeeds of the bankster class.

        As per the gay marriage issue as the catalyst for a Convention, the current trend seems to be taking it one state at a time. For that issue to bring about a Convention, gay POLITICAL leaders at the national and state level(groups and politicians) would have to sit down and strategize to determine if the current approach is the best way to go or to attempt to go the Convention route.

        The links section contains a number of organizations that are actively seeking a Convention. The one with the best promise in my view is the Compact for America which is seeking a balanced budget amendment. Originally they thought they could accomplish this by July 4th of this year, but it looks like they have pushed the date back to July 4th of next year. Political (and I suspect economic) realities have no doubt set in here.

        Both of your questions which you brought up already have answers. The rules of Congress state that when a bill is introduced into a session of Congress(and that would include a Convention petition) and is not
        addressed in that session, then it must be reintroduced in the next session. And as per your second question, technically one could call a Convention utilizing a number of different topics--one state could call one for gay marriage, another for a balanced budget amendment. However, the BIG problem with this is that if the states that call the Convention aren't on the same page with respect to ISSUES, then the chances of any amendment coming about would be extremely slight. They would perhaps have the numbers to call one, but in the end ratification of any one would be highly unlikely because of likely divisiveness, particulary with respect to social related issues. The best chance of passage for any given amendment would be for all the states involved to get behind that amendment.

        --- In NationalConstitutionalConvention06@yahoogroups.com, Michael Bindner <christianlibertarianparty@...> wrote:

        > If not, we should end it.  I see a lot of people, including myself, posting a lot of stuff - but no planning or discussion.
        >
        > The gay marriage decisions may form the nexus for calling a National Constitutional Convention by the states, however shifting public opinion on this issue may diffuse it so much that when gay marriage is nationalized, less than 34 state legislatures will care to overturn it by amendment (and for all practical purposes - no one will really go for it without 38).
        >
        > We still need to find an "in" to request that the Congress reveal their rules for considering convention calls - answering both the question of whether calls expire after the end of a Congress and whether they must all be on the same topic.
        >
        > The person to ask the question - who must be answered - is either the governor or leadership of the state legislature of at least one state, asking their members of Congress to investigate.  We can also ask our own congressmen.  So far in doing so I have had no answer.  No member is actually required to answer controversial citizens questions - so it may require groups of citizens in a single state, along with the membership of a state government, to demand an answer.
        >
        > Does anyone have the Tea Party connections to use that route?  I don't, but would think that would be the best shot.
        >
        > Michael Bindner
        >

        > The Blog
        > http://xianlp.blogspot.com/

      • Eric Reinhardt