PETA billboards target Cherokee zoos

  • Rob Schmidt
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2010
      http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20100729/NEWS/307290026

      PETA billboards target Cherokee zoos

      From staff reports . July 29, 2010

      CHEROKEE - An animal rights group plans to put up four billboard signs in Western North Carolina telling tourists to avoid bear
      parks here.

      The four billboards, erected by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, feature a cartoon image of a crying bear and read,
      "Warning: Tourist Trap. Avoid Cruel Bear Pits."

      PETA last summer asked the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians to close the bear zoos on the reservations because of what the group
      called inhumane conditions. Some of the Cherokee zoos keep the bears in concrete pits.

      A federal inspector in May 2009 noted three problems at the Chief Saunooke's Bear Park, but those had been corrected by July, a
      tribe official has said. Game show icon Bob Barker traveled to Cherokee last summer to help PETA.

      A state inspector found no problems at the other bear zoos in Cherokee.

      Starting this week, the billboards will be up at the following locations:

      . Interstate 26, 10 miles south of Interstate 40, between exits 44 and 49, facing east

      . I-26, 0.3 miles east of Pond Road, facing south

      . I-40, 1.5 miles east of exit 55, facing east

      . I-40, 0.5 miles west of exit 24, facing east