Keyboard overlays help teach students Cherokee

  • Rob Schmidt
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2010
      http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=331&articleid=20100227
      _19_A13_Cherok576767&archive=yes

      Letter perfect
      Keyboard overlays help teach students the Cherokee language.

      By CLIFTON ADCOCK World Staff Writer
      Published: 2/27/2010 2:24 AM
      Last Modified: 2/27/2010 4:46 AM

      TAHLEQUAH - Hunkered over the white laptop computer on her desk, Rachel
      Ballou began to type.

      "Hi, Helena," Rachel, 9, wrote. "Last Friday, we started making quilts. My
      quilt was green."

      It was an e-mail to her teacher, the typical class assignment one would
      expect to see for most third-graders, recounting what she had done while the
      teacher was away for a few days.

      But with each keystroke, a once-dying language grew a little bit stronger.

      The e-mail was composed entirely in Cherokee syllabary.

      Rachel and others at the Cherokee Nation Immersion School are the new
      keepers of their culture's fire, carrying into the information age the
      Cherokee language and its syllabary, created by Sequoyah nearly two
      centuries ago.

      Although the font was created through an agreement between the tribe and
      Apple Inc. a few years ago, the students have a new tool to help type the
      language: a keyboard overlay that replaces the letters of the English
      alphabet with those of the 85-character syllabary.

      Students had been using a variety of keystrokes on a standard keyboard to
      type in Cherokee, but now they can lay a thin black silicone pad over the
      standard keyboard to find the corresponding characters.

      "We had to use a little paper, and it was much harder," said Dalyn
      Patterson, a third-grader at the school.

      Rachel added: "It was hard. We couldn't really remember" the correct keys.

      "Now, we can look at the keyboard instead of going all the way up there for
      answers," she added, referring to the key-translation chart that hung at the
      front of the classroom.

      The new keypads also will be used by the Cherokee Nation Translation
      Department, students in the Cherokee language program at Northeastern State
      University, and students in other American-Indian programs using computers
      embedded with the Cherokee characters.