Rosetta Stone releases Chitimacha language

  • Rob Schmidt
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 27, 2010
      http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/82620692.html

      Rosetta Stone releases Chitimacha language

      Advocate business staff
      Published: Jan 25, 2010 - UPDATED: 2:10 p.m.

      Rosetta Stone Inc. today announced the release of the Chitimacha language
      version of Rosetta StoneR software for exclusive use by the Chitimacha Tribe
      of Louisiana. The last fluent Chitimach speaker died in 1940 but the tribe
      is trying to revive its language.

      Rosetta Stone helps people learn a language by linking the meaning and
      structure of a new language directly to real world objects and events
      without translation. The Chitimacha language version of the software has
      been created through a Rosetta Stone corporate grant with all distribution
      rights belonging to the tribe.

      "We are honored that the Rosetta Stone Endangered Language Program can help
      the Chitimacha reclaim a piece of their heritage and cultural identity,"
      Marion Bittinger, program manager, said in a prepared statement. "We are
      optimistic our work with indigenous groups will be a step toward reversing
      the tide of global language extinction."

      The tribe's Cultural Department began its language revitalization program in
      1997, using wax cylinder recordings and field notes made 65 years before by
      linguist Morris Swadesh. The recordings and field notes allowed a few tribal
      members to immerse themselves in the complex grammar and vocabulary of the
      dormant language and learn to pronounce the difficult sequences of sounds.
      As a result of the grant, Rosetta Stone staff members collaborated in the
      adaptation of the software to teach concepts and structures using only the
      Chitimacha language.