Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Docs in fatal sweat lodge case show past problems

Expand Messages
  • Rob Schmidt
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_SWEAT_LODGE_DEATHS_AZOL-?SITE=CODE N&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT Dec 28, 7:29 PM EST Docs in fatal sweat lodge case
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2009

      Dec 28, 7:29 PM EST

      Docs in fatal sweat lodge case show past problems

      Associated Press Writer

      PRESCOTT, Ariz. (AP) -- Documents released in the investigation of a fatal
      sweat lodge ceremony show that people lost consciousness and others suffered
      broken bones at past events led by self-help guru James Arthur Ray, but Ray
      largely ignored the medical problems that arose.

      Three people died after an Oct. 8 sweat lodge ceremony that was the
      highlight of Ray's five-day "Spiritual Warrior" event at a retreat he rented
      near Sedona. The Yavapai County sheriff's office has focused a homicide
      investigation on Ray, who has made millions of dollars by convincing people
      his words will lead them to spiritual and financial wealth.

      In documents released Monday, a man Ray hired to build the sweat lodge told
      investigators that he was hesitant to assist with the ceremony for a third
      year because participants previously had emerged in medical distress, and
      emergency help wasn't summoned. Theodore Mercer said the latest ceremony was
      hotter than in years past, but Ray repeatedly told participants, "You are
      not going to die. You might think you are, but you're not going to die."

      Mercer's wife, Debra, told investigators that one man emerged from the sweat
      lodge halfway through the October ceremony believing he was having a heart
      attack and would die. She said that instead of summoning medical aid, Ray
      said "It's a good day to die," according to a search warrant affidavit.

      When Ray was advised that two participants were unconscious near the end of
      the two-hour ceremony, Debra Mercer said Ray did not appear overly concerned
      and said they would be OK until the end.

      A message left Monday at a phone listing for the Mercers was not immediately

      No charges have been filed. The investigation, including hundreds of
      interviews, is expected to be turned over to prosecutors next month.
      Sheriff's officials said they would have no further comment until then.

      Ray has hired his own investigative team to determine what went wrong. Brad
      Brian, an attorney for Ray, said in a statement Monday that Ray's
      representatives have been working with Arizona authorities to determine the
      facts, and he urged people not to jump to conclusions.

      Brian said he believes the investigation will show "that the Sedona tragedy
      was a terrible accident that no one, including James Ray, could have seen

      Authorities and participants have said no one was forced to remain in the
      sweat lodge, but they were highly encouraged to stay inside.

      Sheriff's officials said they found nothing to explain how the three people
      - Kirby Brown, 38, of Westtown, N.Y.; James Shore, 40, of Milwaukee; and Liz
      Neuman, 49, of Prior Lake, Minn. - died other than the extreme heat inside
      the pitch-black sweat lodge - a 415-square-foot makeshift sauna covered with
      tarps and blankets and heated with hot rocks.

      Authorities have interviewed most of the more than 50 people who attended
      the event and detailed about a dozen of the interviews in documents released
      Monday after a judge ruled last week that they be made public.

      Some of the people told investigators that Ray responded to cries for help
      from a man who was burned and warned other participants not to leave the
      sweat lodge during eight 15-minute rounds so they wouldn't also be scorched
      by the hot rocks in the center.

      Others who were interviewed by investigators described suffering broken
      bones at other Ray-led events after being instructed to break bricks with
      their hands. Others said they vomited and slipped into altered states of

      Mickey Reynolds, who attended Ray's 2005 "Spiritual Warrior" event said it
      was implied the sweat lodge was safe since Ray had done the ceremonies
      before. Reynolds told investigators there was no discussion of safety
      procedures or a plan if something went wrong.

      The owner of the Sedona retreat, Amayra Hamilton, said she told Ray in 2005
      that he would have to change his ceremonies after a man became severely ill
      and she saw improvements the following year.

      Richard Wright said he took part in the latest sweat lodge as a test of
      courage, enduring seven of eight 15-minute rounds. The Fort Lauderdale,
      Fla., resident told The Associated Press participants never were asked to
      provide emergency contacts or answer questions about their health, and they
      never were given a clear picture of the effects of a sweat lodge.

      Instead, they took Ray's word that vomiting and passing out were normal, he

      "We all chose what we did," Wright said. "But again, if you make a choice
      with only having half the story, have you really made a choice?"

      C 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.