Quileute don't actually have 'Twilight' werewolves

  • Rob Schmidt
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2009
      http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/article/20091001/news/310019985

      TV program to show that Quileute don't actually have 'Twilight' werewolves

      Peninsula Daily News

      LAPUSH -- Werewolves are not part of the cultural tradition of the Quileute,
      and that point will be made on Reelzchannel-TV's "Twilight Weekly:
      Spotlight," which airs Friday.

      Author Stephenie Meyer cast some Quileute as werewolves in her best-selling
      vampire novels set in Forks, LaPush and Port Angeles.

      No werewolves

      Although the Quileute have extensive stories about wolves in their heritage,
      they have no stories about werewolves.

      "It was very important to this nation to partner with an organization that
      we felt understood that the non-fictional Quileute story is more complex,
      multidimensional and sacred than [the one] everyone has been exposed to,"
      tribal publicist Jackie Jacobs said.

      "We have been inundated with requests from various outlets to tell the story
      but felt that Reelzchannel embodied the authentic direction we wanted to
      explore while keeping it fun and interesting for the fans."

      The network visited LaPush to hear storytelling from tribal elders and film
      on location.

      'New Moon'

      The Quileute tribe plays a prominent role in the upcoming film, "New Moon,"
      which is based on the second of four books in the Meyer's Twilight series.

      The books detail the love story of vampire Edward Cullen and human Bella
      Swan. Their love is challenged in the second book when a Quileute boy, Jacob
      Black, also makes a play for Bella's heart.

      In the tale, some of the Quileute teens are depicted as developing into
      werewolves to protect humans from nearby vampires.

      The episode of "Twilight Weekly" originally aired on Monday and will re-air
      on Friday at 7 p.m.

      It may be viewed on channel 238 on DirecTV and channel 299 on Dish Network.
      It is not available on Wave Broadband.

      "Reelzchannel is both humbled and honored that the Quileute nation entrusted
      us with providing the first ever television camera access to their lands and
      to their people to share with our 'Twilight Weekly: Spotlight' viewers,"
      said Stan Hubbard, chief executive officer of Reelzchannel.

      "This is a tremendous responsibility, and we thank the Quileute nation and
      its people not only for the access but for their guidance in helping us
      understand their people, lands and traditions.

      For clips of the show and more information, visit www.reelzchannel.com.