Pizza Workers Accused Of Discrimination

  • Rob Schmidt
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2009
      http://www.wsmv.com/news/20227958/detail.html

      Pizza Workers Accused Of Discrimination

      Native American Priest Says He Was Poorly Served At Old Hickory Little
      Caesars

      Reported By Jonathan Martin

      POSTED: 2:55 pm CDT July 30, 2009
      UPDATED: 9:48 pm CDT July 30, 2009

      OLD HICKORY, Tenn. -- A priest from a Native American tribe claims he was
      discriminated against and called a racist name at a local pizzeria.

      Lou White Eagle, 63, said he ordered two pizzas on Wednesday afternoon from
      the Little Caesars on Lebanon Road in Old Hickory.

      He said he waited 25 minutes while eight other customers came in asking for
      the same $5 pizzas. White Eagle said those customers were served within a
      few minutes.

      After this occurrence, White Eagle said he politely asked for his money
      back.

      "I just got up and felt if they are not going to serve me, I might as well
      leave," said White Eagle. "I feel this place is very prejudiced."

      When he got home, he called the manager to complain and said the employee
      who answered the phone acted unprofessional.

      "He yelled, 'Its Jennifer's Native American jackass on the phone,'" said
      White Eagle.

      White Eagle said he could hear other workers laughing in the background. He
      said the manager assured him he would talk to the employee who made the
      comment.

      "I felt really bad. I felt degraded," said White Eagle.

      Channel 4 spoke with the restaurant's owner by phone Thursday. He and other
      workers said surveillance video shows the customer only waited 10 minutes,
      not 25. The owner said others got their food before White Eagle because no
      cheese pizzas were available at the time.

      As for the employee's comment, the owner admitted it was inappropriate but
      not racial. He said he's taken corrective action and will continue to
      investigate.

      Meanwhile, White Eagle has contacted the Little Caesars corporate office and
      is considering hiring an attorney.

      "I think this young man, and other people that work there, should be taught
      if they're prejudiced, I don't think they should work there," said White
      Eagle.