Don't compare Mexico gangs to American Indians

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22, 2009
      http://morningsentinel.mainetoday.com/view/letters/6352857.html

      Don't compare Mexico gangs to American Indians

      Kennebec Journal & Morning Sentinel 05/27/2009

      This is in response to J.P. Devine's review of "Sin Nombre," which I went
      to see with my wife in order to check the Spanish translations about "the
      fetid landscape" of Chiapas, Mexico, a "Mexico no American ever Sees,"
      dominated by gangs that are "little more than animals," tattooed poisonous
      flowers straight out of the darkest gardens of hell.

      According to Devine's review, the members of Chiapas gangs are "so covered
      with tattoos" that "they resemble the war-painted tribes of the great
      prairies. So mutilated are they, they could not possibly interact in modern
      society, so they push drugs and prostitutes among their own suppressed
      people."

      I find it difficult to understand Devine's comparison between the
      war-painted tribes of the great prairies, and the tattoos of the Chiapas
      that makes the tribes unfit to possibly interact in modern society without
      pushing drugs or prostitution.

      And, lest we forget, we know how Hollywood stereotyped the tribes of the
      great prairies into "painted savages."

      Bob Doel
      Vassalboro