Celebs to turn out for Healing Path fundraiser

  • Rob Schmidt
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2009
      http://www.navajotimes.com/news/2009/0509/052809walk.php

      Celebs to turn out for Healing Path fundraiser

      By Jan-Mikael Patterson
      Navajo Times

      WINDOW ROCK, May 28, 2009

      The annual Walking the Healing Path, a long-distance trek aimed at deterring
      domestic violence, is less than a month away and organizers say they must
      raise over $20,000 to cover the costs of this year's event.

      The walk was founded and is coordinated by John Tsosie and Ernest Tsosie
      III, a father-son team who this year plan to walk from Window Rock to
      Denver, a journey of over 600 miles.

      The walkers will leave Window Rock on June 20 and John Tsosie estimates it
      will take 30 to 35 days to complete.

      It will end at the home office of the National Coalition Against Domestic
      Violence, a grassroots nonprofit founded in 1978 to end violence in the
      lives of women and children.

      To help raise money for the trek, Healing Path coordinators plan to hold a
      fundraiser Saturday, June 13, in Gallup.

      "An Evening of Music and Laughter to End Domestic Violence" will feature
      Radmilla Cody, Q'Orianka Kilcher, and the James & Ernie comedy duo.

      Cody, a singer and motivational speaker, will take time out from production
      work on her forthcoming album but said she's glad to help out.

      "I'm excited to perform especially since this deals with domestic violence,"
      Cody said in a recent telephone interview. "As you know I've had my share
      with my personal experiences."

      Cody is a survivor of domestic violence, having become involved with an
      abusive boyfriend while serving as Miss Navajo Nation 1997-98.

      She is passionate about educating people and raising awareness about
      violence in relationships, utilizing her personal experiences in speeches
      and workshops on the problem.

      Actress, activist and musician Kilcher, who starred as Pocahontas in the
      2006 movie "The New World," will also take part in the fundraiser.

      "I'm not sure what I will be doing but I know that I will be there," Kilcher
      confirmed in a recent telephone interview from her home in Santa Monica,
      Calif.

      "I'm really super duper excited" about returning to the area, where she has
      close friends.

      Her last visit was during the 2007 Navajo Nation Fair while she was
      promoting "The New World."

      Since then Kilcher said she's spent a lot of her time being a voice for
      indigenous peoples, such as those in the Amazon region of South America, who
      are being harmed by the activities of corporations as they extract natural
      resources.

      John Tsosie approached Kilcher while she was in Window Rock and the two have
      stayed in touch. At his request, she agreed to appear at the fundraiser.

      "Domestic violence is personal," she said. "It leaves you feeling
      helplessness and hopelessness. I'm sure we all know someone that has been
      affected by domestic violence. It affects us all."

      Kilcher recently completed filming on "Barbarian Princess," in which she
      plays Princess Ka'iulani, the last crown princess of Hawaii.

      The film is still in postproduction but fans can see a trailer at
      www.worldhum.com/travel-blog/item/kaiulanai-the-activist-princess-20090508.
      Additional information on it is also available at www.matadorpictures.com.

      John Tsosie also turned to his brother, Ernest Tsosie III, one-half of James
      & Ernie. The popular comedians will perform some of their favorite skits at
      the fundraiser.

      John estimates it will cost about $28,000 to make this year's walk, of which
      $5,000 has been collected so far. Expenses include fuel for the support
      vehicles, food and rental of a port-a-potty to accompany the walkers. The
      organizers also need money to promote the event.

      "An Evening of Music and Laughter to End Domestic Violence" is scheduled for
      El Morro Theater in downtown Gallup and will begin at 7 p.m. on Saturday,
      June 13.

      Tickets can be bought at the theater and are $15 in advance, $18 at the
      door.

      The performers will gather at Sammy C's (107 W. Coal Ave.) in Gallup from 1
      p.m. to 3 p.m. the day of the show and fans are invited to come and meet
      them in person.

      Information: John Tsosie, 928-797-1179.