Native Americans Outraged Over Twilight Fraud

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 15, 2009
      News Release
      For Immediate Release

      Tuesday, January 13, 2009
      Contact: Lydia Ponce, organizer
      nulydia@...

      Native Americans Outraged Over Twilight Fraud
      Action Alert

      Hollywood, CA – Native Americans are outraged over what they hold as
      deceptions in and around the production of the Hollywood film series
      “Twilight.”

      With the commercial success of Twilight, Hollywood is abuzz with agents
      molding, fitting, and pushing their celebrity actors to pass as Native
      Americans.

      “The Twilight Series is one of few commercial films, a script, and a story
      with Native American roles.” said Lydia Ponce. “It is a sad day to see that
      the big power agents are marketing Filipino and Asian celebrity actors to
      play Native Americans. These are such rare opportunities. When films like
      Twilight knowingly and willfully select non-Native American actors to play
      Native roles, it sends the message that we’re not good enough to represent
      ourselves.”

      Not so long ago Old Western films hired Caucasian actors who were painted a
      brownish-red and wore wigs to portray Native peoples. Continued insult and
      injury further perpetuating bias, stereotypes, and racism, was so very
      wrong and evil then and now. Hollywood is using the tan spray and hair
      extensions again.

      Hollywood agents are instructing their talent to dig and find those ‘Native
      Roots’ and publicize their newfound Native American heritage in interviews
      conveniently in sync with current casting needs and trends.

      Twilight’s lead actor Taylor Lautner, who allegedly just found his Native
      American roots, was given the extraordinary opportunity to play the lead in
      the film well after the “discovery” of his ethnicity.

      In a recent MTV interview Lautner stated, “I am part Native American. We
      learned that through [preparing for] this film. I'm French, Dutch and
      German, and on my mother's side, she has some Potawatomi and Ottawa Indian
      in her.”

      http://www.nativevue.org/blog/?p=835

      However, in a film with such a strong Native American theme, only two
      actors of Native American decent were hired. But due to reasons unknown,
      Solomon Trimble (Apache) who played and established the character of Sam
      Uley, has suddenly lost his role.

      Sam Uley’s character has been re-posted onto the Hollywood-casting
      breakdown, and it is obvious that Hollywood is now looking for a more
      marketable teen heartthrob celebrity actor to play the more substantial and
      very desirable part.

      Given that this franchise’s upcoming sequels have two Native American
      female roles, it is concerning that there is only one female role currently
      open on the official breakdown casting. It is a very small role that never
      develops into a significant female lead.

      Reports surfaced across the Internet yesterday morning that Vanessa Hudgens
      has auditioned for the other withheld major Native American role in the
      series.

      It cannot be just mere coincidence that Chris Weitz, the new Director of
      the Twilight film series, shares the same powerful agent that is also
      representing Vanessa Hudgens and Taylor Lautner.

      “Today Native American communities offer plenty of known and unknown
      talent.” said Lydia Ponce. “How can we accept that Filipinos and other
      ethnic groups, talented or not, are being packaged and sold to us as the
      redefined and new and improved Native American image? What about the social
      responsibility the casting of this film will once more have in terms of its
      power to re-identify and redefine an entire culture within the public eye?
      Hollywood is not trusting native peoples to portray themselves once again.
      It’s like we’re being ethnically cleansed from mainstream films.”

      Reliable insider sources, who preferred to stay anonymous, state Taylor
      Lautner’s Agent, was overheard in commenting during a conversation
      regarding Taylor Lautner’s Native American heritage, “Well, we had to work
      around that. We had to fudge it. No one will know the difference.”

      Native or not native, in a recent television interview about his reception
      by the Native community while promoting the film, Taylor told the press
      how: “I actually had a meeting with Quileute tribal members yesterday! I
      interviewed them and just wanted to get to know them. One thing they do
      that I noticed is they don't need to be told to what to do. If the trash is
      getting full, they empty it out. They're always helping each other and are
      really nice. They are people just like you and me.”

      Access Hollywood today confirms that Vanessa Hudgens (Filipino) from High
      School Musical HAS auditioned and is up for the role of Leah, the lone
      werewolf and main Native American female character:
      http://www.accesshollywood.com/vanessa-hudgens-to-join-twilight-sequel_arti
      cle_13014 .

      Given that this franchise’s upcoming sequels has only two Native American
      female roles, it is shocking that the only female role currently open on
      the official casting breakdown is the very small role of Emily, a character
      that never develops into a significant female lead.

      The stronger role of Leah, whose character will develop into a significant
      leading role for a Native American actress in New Moon’s sequel Eclipse and
      Breaking Dawn, is currently absent from the casting breakdowns and
      therefore not available to talent agents for submission.

      The fact that the major role of Leah is NOT listed on the casting
      breakdowns, coupled with the fact that Vanessa Hudgens has auditioned for
      the part of Leah, is enough for any Native American actress to feel
      discriminated against in the sole right to be given even a chance or
      consideration.

      It’s easy to find the information and cannot be just mere coincidence that
      Chris Weitz, the new Director of the franchised film sequel, shares the
      same powerful agent (William Morris Agency) also representing Vanessa
      Hudgens and Taylor Lautner.

      Action Alert: Join us in solidarity--Thursday, Jan. 15 @ 4:00 PM sharp--in
      front of Summit Entertainment for a Peaceful Rally/Demonstration: A Prayer
      Ceremony (Address is listed below).

      Also, please join us in solidarity by having your voice heard by calling,
      e-mailing and contacting ALL of the Twilight representatives listed below
      and urge them to honor Native Peoples by having us represent ourselves:

      Summit Entertainment (Production Company)
      Producer: Mark Morgan
      1630 Stewart St.
      Ste. 120
      Santa Monica, CA 90404
      USA

      mmorgan@...
      Phone: 818-733-5410

      Stephenie Meyer / author of the Twilight books
      c/o Liddell Entertainment
      606 N. Larchmont Blvd.
      Suite 202
      LA, CA 90004