Canoes, kayaks travel Downtown Canal

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2008
      http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080928/LOCAL18/8092803
      69/1195/LOCAL18

      Canoes, kayaks travel Downtown Canal
      Flotilla links Downtown Canal to Grand Canyon IMAX film

      It wasn't the Grand Canyon, but river guide Shana Watahomigie visited
      Indianapolis on Saturday anyway to try a leisurely paddle on the Downtown
      Canal.

      Watahomigie, a member of the Havasupai tribe, spoke for waterways
      conservation and promoted a 3D film about the Grand Canyon debuting this
      weekend at the Indiana State Museum's IMAX theater.

      Watahomigie and her daughter, Cree -- stars in the film -- led a "flotilla"
      of nine canoeists and kayakers on the canal.

      Later she used a sample of water from the Colorado River as part of a
      ceremony demonstrating how all waterways are connected.

      Watahomigie asked the paddlers and officials from the theater and the
      Hoosier Environmental Council to teach respect for rivers and water
      conservation "for our children and our children's children."

      --- Dwight Adams