Boxer comes to Nevada to train for professional debut

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2008
      http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080926/CARSON/809260414/10
      03

      September 26, 2008

      Boxer comes to Nevada to train for professional debut

      By Robert Perea
      rperea@...

      Having seen his dreams of winning an Olympic medal come to an end because
      of an injury, Wahacanka Wa'Ste Wilch has decided the path to his next dream
      begins in Gardnerville.

      Wilch, a 20-year-old from Vermillion, S.D., has come to Gardnerville to
      train with Quentin Blue Horse of the War Party Boxing Club as he prepares
      to make his professional debut Oct. 30 in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.

      Despite having no sparring partner or a gym to train in, Wilch posted an
      amateur record of 78-6, with 45 knockouts. He won 25 amateur titles,
      including 22 state and regional championships and three national titles.

      "To build an amateur career like that without a gym or sparring is quite an
      accomplishment," said Blue Horse. "I'm excited to see what he can do now
      that he has a gym and trainer."

      A member of the Sisseton Sioux Wahapeton Tribe, Wilch's name means Good War
      Shield.

      He said he first got interested in boxing at about the age of 5 when he
      watched his father, Mato Wilch, fight. He began fighting himself about the
      age of 9, but got active in the sport at 13.

      Wilch also played football and basketball at Vermillion High School, and
      said he was offered football scholarships by the University of South
      Dakota, University of Nebraska-Omaha and Augustana College, but he decided
      his athletic future was in boxing.

      Future in boxing

      "Ever since I was a kid, my idols were in boxing," Wilch said. "I always
      knew I had athletic ability, but it was mainly location at work against me.
      I only fought in big competitions, and sometimes I had to go to Omaha to
      fight."

      Wilch hoped to represent the United States in the 2008 Olympics in Beijing,
      but broke his pinky knuckle at the 2007 National Golden Gloves Tournament
      of Champions. That left him sidelined for nine months, and he decided the
      time was right to turn pro.

      Blue Horse said he and Wilch have been in contact for the past year, and
      when Wilch decided to turn pro, he hired Blue Horse as his trainer.

      "He was looking for someone to help him come up, help him get into
      professional boxing," Blue Horse said.

      The 6-foot-3 Wilch will make his debut Oct. 30 at 165 pounds against David
      Lopez, 2-0, of Caldwell, Idaho.

      Blue Horse also trains Nashville, Tenn., boxer Jonathan Reid along with
      several youth boxers, which gives Wilch plenty of opportunity to spar in
      training.

      "It worked out perfect," Blue Horse said. "(Reid) is looking at a fight a
      week later, so they train together."

      "I didn't get very much sparring (as an amateur)," Wilch said. "I have all
      the sparring I need now to stay sharp."

      Better suited for professional

      Despite his impressive amateur record, Wilch said he believes he's better
      suited for professional than amateur boxing, because of the amateur scoring
      system of counting punches.

      "In Olympic scoring I wasn't more effective," Wilch said. "I'd land more
      clean and effective blows, but they'd stay busier and they'd get more
      points. I'll be a better pro than amateur."

      Wilch demonstrated as an amateur that he has plenty of power, and believes
      he will also show that more as a pro.

      "I consider myself to have great power," he said. "It all depends on what
      the opponent gives me but once I land a shot, they feel it."

      "For someone to have 45 knockouts in amateurs is a great thing, with the
      bigger gloves and headgear," Blue Horse said. "He's a well-rounded fighter.
      Great defense, great offense."

      Wilch has not seen Lopez, his first opponent, but he's confident even
      though he doesn't know what style of fighter he is.

      "The only thing I know is he is going to get laid flat on his back," Wilch
      said.