Baker Twins break stereotypes with women’s calendar

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 24, 2008
      http://www.straight.com/article-151046/baker-twins-break-stereotypes-with-n
      ative-american-womens-calendar

      June 23, 2008

      Baker Twins break stereotypes with native American women’s calendar

      By Shadi Elien

      Buying a new calendar for 2008 is still on my to-do list. With only 191
      days left in the year, I figure it’s best to get a head start on 2009, so
      the release of a 16-month BT Girls Native American Women’s Calendar puts an
      end to my woes.

      Cocreators Shannon and Shauna Baker, better known as the The Baker Twins,
      put it together as a way of celebrating the beauty and talent (hence BT
      Girls) of First Nations women across Canada and Washington State.

      The calendar is a personal reflection of the twins’ own history and
      background as aboriginal women who have built successful modelling and
      acting careers. According to a media release, the girls were quoted as
      wanting to put an end to the westernized view of First Nations people.

      “Many people do not know that many First Nations people are successful
      doctors, lawyers, teachers, actors, welders, nurses, singers, models, etc.”
      Shannon said. “In the media, there is almost no portrayal of First Nations
      people living in the present day. The world needs to stop stereotyping
      First Nations people and start showing this through the media, and that is
      what we are doing with this calendar.”

      Each month displays one of the 12 women, all from different tribes, in a
      photo shoot with the Baker twins. A peek at the calendar reveals not only
      some beautiful women but also a very creative way of using up all those
      Straights lying around my house.

      Wearing a strapless mini multi-layered dress made entirely of 21 different
      Georgia Straight newspapers, model Nettie Longee is featured in the month
      of May with a Baker Twins original design.

      For more information about the Baker twins, as well as how to purchase the
      calendar, visit the girls’ website.