"Lakota Nation" Confirmed -- They Are Not Part of the U.S.

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 28 3:28 AM
      "Lakota Nation" Confirmed -- They Are Not Part of the U.S. -- Precedent for
      Other Indigenous Peoples? Can Rethinking of "U.S." & "Canada" Be Far
      Behind?

      [Story of the year]

      MNN. Dec. 25, 2007.

      The times, they are achangin'. Go to the www.lakotafreedom.com website.
      There you'll see Canupa Gluha Mani of the Strong Heart Warrior Society of
      the Lakota Nation cutting up his colonial driver's license. He's doing
      this because on December 17th 2007 the Lakota delivered their "Declaration
      of Continuing Independence", just in time for the Winter Solstice.

      The history of Lakota with the U.S. is long, complex and tragic. They knew
      something had to change. After the Wounded Knee Occupation of 1973, the
      International Indian Treaty Council was established. From June 8 to 16
      1974 the Council called for a "Western Hemisphere" Conference at Standing
      Rock Sioux. Over 5000 delegates of 97 Indigenous Peoples from the Americas
      gathered. The "manifesto" that was created on that occasion supports the
      rights of all Indigenous Peoples to live free and take whatever actions are
      necessary to uphold our sovereignty.

      It is rumored that President of Russia, Vladimir Putin, a powerful world
      leader, said today that he is considering recognizing the Lakota as an i
      ndependent nation. Withdrawing from the treaties is entirely legal. It is
      within the laws on treaties passed at the Vienna Convention and put into
      effect by the U.S. and the rest of the international community in 1980.

      The Lakota never relinquished their lands and have always refused to accept
      payment estimated close to $1 billion to give up their sovereignty and
      nationhood. Offering to buy us out means they are acknowledging our
      sovereignty.

      They declared the obvious. The lands belong to the various Indigenous
      peoples and are clearly defined by the treaties. Where there are no
      treaties, the U.S. and Canada are squatters. Plain and simple! The
      indigenous people have the same rights under international law as anyone
      else, whether a country chooses to acknowledge it or not, as in South
      Africa. Our vast tracts of land, which have been cared for by our
      ancestors, continue to be ours despite the delusional fraudulent claims of
      the colonizing states.

      Treaties concluded through bribery and with colonial puppets, instead of
      with valid representatives of our people, are not legal. It should be borne
      in mind that most, not all, of the treaties ever made with the colonizers
      granted them only very limited rights that fall far short of the greedy
      advantages they imagined. They had no intention of ever living up to any
      treaty. They were hell bent on stealing everything. The U.S. and Canada
      came as profiteers and fraudulently tried to steal all our assets.

      Such documents were concocted in clear violation of international law then
      and now. This requires the informed consent of the people concerned. No
      state can incorporate another unless a clear majority of the people has
      expressed consent through fairly conducted democratic processes based on a
      clear question.

      The Six Nations Confederacy and the Algonquins are the title holders of
      most of the eastern half of what is known as the colonies of Canada and
      northeastern U.S. Our Indigenous laws prohibit alienation of our lands.
      We hold them as trustees for the coming unborn generations. We refuse to
      surrender our lands. The implementation of the Indian Act and federal
      Indian law is genocidal.

      According to article VI of the U.S. Constitution, treaties represent the
      Supreme Law of the Land binding each party to an inviolable international
      relationship. Those without treaties with the colonists hold their lands
      independent and free. The only legal authority is Indigenous. Article II
      sets out the primary nation-to-nation relationship. In Canada Section 109
      of the British North America Act 1867 respects the primary authority of the
      Indigenous peoples.

      The U.S. and Canada have violated the independent Indigenous Peoples by
      "clerical" action, edicts and pronouncements violating our international
      treaty rights and authority.

      The Lakota declaration of withdrawal from the Treaty of Laramie 1868 is
      vested in the power of the Lakota people and the children. One individual
      does not represent the nation. The nation represents the individual. The
      withdrawal is for the people, elders, mothers, fathers and children
      including the unborn faces beneath the ground.

      The Treaty of Laramie was never honored. It's been a colonial catastrophe,
      which was not its intent on our part. Indigenous children are still being
      taken away putting them out of balance from learning the traditional life
      ways. The true way is to be free and left to govern and look after our own
      with the teachings of the animal nations. This is about the Lakota Nation
      and the Animal People who are no longer here. "We are the Lakota Nation of
      Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming and Montana". We are
      alerting the Family of Nations of our action with the backing of
      Indigenous, international and U.S. law.

      Should all Indigenous nations of Onowaregeh, Turtle Island, assert our
      freedom and independence, what would happen? The action of the "Lakota" is
      going to have repercussions far and wide.

      The colonists would go out of business, especially the oligarchs. They
      would have to work out agreements with all the Indigenous people on whose
      land they are squatting. Indigenous "liens" on buildings, development,
      resource extraction and all activities on our land will have to be governed
      and executed by us. Each Indigenous nation will assert our power over our
      lands, assets and resources. The colonies of U.S. and Canada will just
      have to become law abiding. They will have to learn to respect indigenous
      and international law. This will not bring a catastrophe for the ordinary
      people living on our land. They just have to come to terms with the
      reality that they are living within our jurisdiction, that they are
      visitors on our land and that they are required to follow our law.

      The pointlessness of their former reliance on their handpicked "Indian"
      puppets set up by the colonial Indian Act band councils and federal Indian
      law tribal councils will become obvious. These sell-outs will have to live
      amongst their relatives without colonial power and support. Whisky, money
      and guns will lose their mystical attraction.

      The Lakota call upon the world to support this struggle for sovereignty and
      treaty rights. They pledge their assistance to all sovereign people who
      seek their independence.

      The Lakota have invited those living on their lands to join them. Lakota
      will issue permits to them, passports, driver's licenses and other
      documents. Living there would be tax free providing the residents renounce
      their U.S. citizenship.

      The Lakotah are to open negotiations with the State Department of the U.S.
      government to establish diplomatic relations. They are setting up offices
      in Washington and New York City.

      Are we going to see the other nations of Turtle Island asserting
      sovereignty? Don't let those "dirty rotten lawyers" meddle or intervene.
      They're not the ones who decide what the law is. The law belongs to the
      people. As our ancestors told us, "One nation will take the issue so far.
      Then another will take it further. Until we all regain everything that is
      ours". So who's next?

      Kahentinetha Horn
      MNN Mohawk Nation News