National American Indian Heritage Month, 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1 6:16 AM
      http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2007/10/20071031-2.html

      National American Indian Heritage Month, 2007
      A Proclamation By the President of the United States of America

      National American Indian Heritage Month is an opportunity to honor the many
      contributions of American Indians and Alaska Natives and to recognize the
      strong and living traditions of the first people to call our land home.

      American Indians and Alaska Natives continue to shape our Nation by
      preserving the heritage of their ancestors and by contributing to the rich
      diversity that is our country's strength. Their dedicated efforts to honor
      their proud heritage have helped others gain a deeper understanding of the
      vibrant and ancient customs of the Native American community. We also
      express our gratitude to the American Indians and Alaska Natives who serve
      in our Nation's military and work to extend the blessings of liberty around
      the world.

      My Administration is committed to supporting the American Indian and Alaska
      Native cultures. In June, I signed the "Native American Home Ownership
      Opportunity Act of 2007," which reauthorizes the Indian Housing Loan
      Guarantee Program, guaranteeing loans for home improvements and expanding
      home ownership for Native American families. Working with tribal
      governments, we will strive for greater security, healthier lifestyles,
      better schools, and new economic opportunities for American Indians and
      Alaska Natives.

      During National American Indian Heritage Month, we underscore our
      commitment to working with tribes on a government to government basis and
      to supporting tribal sovereignty and self-determination. During this month,
      I also encourage Federal agencies to continue their work with tribal
      governments to ensure sound cooperation. Efforts such as on-line training
      programs will improve interagency collaboration in the Federal Indian
      Affairs community and help to strengthen relationships with tribes,
      building a brighter future for all our citizens.

      NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of
      America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and
      laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim November 2007 as National
      American Indian Heritage Month. I call upon all Americans to commemorate
      this month with appropriate programs and activities.

      IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this thirty-first day of
      October, in the year of our Lord two thousand seven, and of the
      Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and
      thirty-second.

      GEORGE W. BUSH