Thank you, Ellsbury: Free tacos for everyone

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2007
      http://www.daily-times.com/news/ci_7325877

      Thank you, Ellsbury: Free tacos for everyone

      By Rhys Saunders The Daily Times
      Article Launched: 10/31/2007 12:00:00 AM MDT

      FARMINGTON — One fifth-grade class from Nenahnezad Community School in
      Fruitland made a "run for the border" Tuesday afternoon, thanks to a Navajo
      baseball player's stolen base during the second game of the World Series.

      Taco Bell's "Steal a Base, Steal a Taco" campaign guaranteed free tacos for
      a stolen base during Game 2 of the World Series.

      When Jacoby Ellsbury, the first Navajo to play in Major League Baseball,
      stole second base during the game last week, the Boston Red Sox outfielder
      earned free tacos from Taco Bell for people around the country. Taco lovers
      were invited to pick up their free food from 2 p.m. until 5 p.m. Tuesday.

      Jody Idzerda's fifth-grade students arrived at Taco Bell, 2226 East Main
      St., just 10 minutes after the giveaway began.

      "Our kids had the most parents in for their parent-teacher conferences,"
      she said.

      As a prize, the 25 children were allowed a pizza party. After watching the
      World Series game, Idzerda decided it would be a great opportunity to have
      an outing and enjoy some free tacos, courtesy of a fellow teacher's nephew.

      "Jacoby is the nephew of Emily Allison, who is a sixth-grade teacher at our
      school," Idzerda said.

      Others showed up after hearing about the giveaway from the media.

      "I heard about it on the radio station," said Judy Nelson, 49, of Shiprock.

      Nelson and her 30-year-old daughter, Shaundra Carlston, also of Shiprock,
      said they were hoping the Boston Red Sox would win because they heard an
      American Indian player was on the team.

      Ellsbury's feat should be a source of pride for Navajo people everywhere,
      Nelson added.

      Ellsbury, who was brought up from the minor leagues in late summer, hit
      nearly .353 during the regular season and was a standout during a 4-0 World
      Series sweep over the Colorado Rockies. Ellsbury hit over .400 during the
      four games and made a number of stellar plays both in the field and on the
      bases.

      Local Taco Bell employees were ready for an afternoon rush, said Marilyn
      Anderson, who owns both Farmington stores. Instead of having the regular
      seven employees on hand for the afternoon shift, the 2226 East Main St.
      location boasted 18 workers to contend with the potential crowds.

      "At 3:15, this place will be a mad house when the kids get out of school,"
      Anderson said five minutes before the giveaway began.

      The goal was to serve more than 1,000 tacos in each of the two Farmington
      stores, she said.

      "We would have to get close to 1,500 per store before we would be in
      jeopardy of running out of taco shells," Anderson said. "I don't think
      we'll get to that point."