Kodak Produces Book of Historic Photos

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2007
      http://members.whattheythink.com/news/newslink.cfm?id=29403

      Kodak Produces Book of Historic Photos on Native American Life

      Source: Press release issued by the company, unless otherwise noted.

      ROCHESTER, N.Y., Oct. 25-Thanks to a unique collaboration between Kodak's
      Graphic Communications Group and The Center for Western Studies of
      Augustana College in Sioux Falls, S.D., photographs taken more than 100
      years ago have come to life in a new photo book. Impressions of Tribal Life
      was produced on a KODAK NEXPRESS S3000 Digital Production Color Press.

      Impressions of Tribal Life compiles photographs taken by Father Ambrose
      Mattingly, OSB, who came to the Crow Creek Reservation in South Dakota in
      August 1888 as a priest with Immaculate Conception Indian Mission at
      Stephan. Among his many skills as a painter, carpenter, plumber, farmer,
      teacher and doctor, Father Ambrose also pursued photography from 1895 to
      1905, capturing images that reveal a great deal about life on the
      reservation.

      The photo book features digital scans of glass plate images that have been
      enhanced by combining them with Native American artifacts to add color and
      texture. The U.S. Geological Survey office provided the scans, while the
      artifacts come from the personal collection of Kodak executive Jeffrey W.
      Hayzlett, who initiated the project.

      "This collaboration with Kodak allows us to showcase these historic photos
      and tell our stories to a wider audience through this publication," said
      Harry F. Thompson, Ph.D., Director of Research Collections and Publications
      at The Center for Western Studies. "As a book publisher, I appreciate the
      NEXPRESS Press's capabilities to help us share the resources we have on
      Native American life in the Northern Plains."

      Impressions of Tribal Life, which was shown at Kodak's booth during Graph
      Expo, will be available at The Center for Western Studies of Augustana
      College in January and February 2008, in conjunction with a gallery
      exhibition of Father Ambrose's framed photographs. Kodak will continue to
      print books for The Center for Western Studies at the company's
      demonstration center in Rochester.

      "Impressions of Tribal Life brings the remarkable photography of Father
      Ambrose to public consciousness after more than a century," said Hayzlett,
      Chief Business Development Officer and Vice President, Eastman Kodak
      Company (Stock Price Web Site Executives Related Articles Google).
      "It also demonstrates the opportunities for producing short run, high
      quality color photo books with a NEXPRESS Press. We are proud to be part
      of this exciting project."

      Father Ambrose kept records of his experiences in South Dakota, and makes
      specific reference to Kodak in one of his journal entries. He used a buggy
      drawn by two ponies, Pat and Buck, to travel as a missionary and to take
      photos on reservations including Lower Brule, Yankton, Cheyenne River and
      Standing Rock. One day, while trying to forge a flooded stream, Father
      Ambrose's buggy stuck fast on a frozen drift. Undaunted, he climbed into
      the water to unhitch the team and free the buggy. Later, he wrote of this
      incident, "If gratitude is a virtue, them I claim the pennant for the
      practice of that virtue. For I was, I am, and ever shall be profoundly
      grateful that no one with a KODAK Camera was on the scene."

      The KODAK NEXPRESS S3000 Digital Production Color Press is the most
      productive digital color printing solution offered by Kodak, delivering
      6000 offset quality A4/letter sheets per hour (100 pages per minute) on a
      very wide range of substrates. Ideal for large to very large commercial
      printers and photo services operations, the S3000 features a fully modular
      design that makes it completely field upgradeable for increased paper input
      or delivery capacity-or for the addition of a fifth imaging unit. Kodak
      offers an array of inline and near line accessories to improve productivity
      and support new applications.