Web helping tribe to save language

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 28, 2007
      http://www.peninsulaclarion.com/stories/082707/news_3586.shtml

      Web posted Monday, August 27, 2007

      Web helping tribe to save language
      Site aims to keep Dena'ina culture from extinction

      JESSICA CEJNAR
      Peninsula Clarion

      For Alan Boraas, an anthropology professor at Kenai Peninsula College,
      helping to revitalize a language that's nearly dead is not just an
      interesting project, it's the right thing to do.

      "It's a very emotional thing to see a language become extinct," he said.
      "It's the equivalent of a species becoming extinct. What we lose is not
      just the words, but the thought processes that are part of a language."

      For more than two years, Boraas and his colleague Michael Christian have
      taken pictures, navigated through HTML and digitized old audio recordings
      of Native writer Peter Kalifornsky in order to present Dena'ina vocabulary,
      grammar, stories and place names in an interactive Web site that went live
      last month.

      "I'd sit in front of my computer and Michael was next door sitting in front
      of his. I'd build a Web page there are several hundred Web pages and add
      certain elements," Boraas said. "(Christian's) expertise is in doing the
      sound work and perfecting the pages so they ran smoothly. I couldn't do
      that so I'd give it to him and he'd edit and fix it.

      "We've got a draft of it up and running now, we're just trying to get the
      bugs worked out."

      In an e-mail, Boraas said some browsers may not support his Web site, but
      the kinks should be worked out within the next couple of weeks. The Web
      site is an ongoing project with more features being added to it as time
      goes by. Visitors can access the Web site at
      http://qenaga.org/kq/index.html.

      "I hope people of all ages go to it and gain insights into both the
      language and the culture," Boraas said.

      This project is the latest in the Kenaitze Indian Tribe's endeavor to
      revitalize their Native language. Cultural Director Alexandra "Sasha"
      Lindgren, a tribal elder with the Kenaitze Indian Tribe, said a three-year
      grant from the Administration for Native Americans allowed the tribe to buy
      Boraas out of his teaching contract with KPC, enabling him to devote more
      time to the Web site.

      But the site is only one part of what the grant was used for.

      "We're training people to teach the Dena'ina language," said Lindgren, the
      project director for the grant. "It's more than the Web site."

      The credit for much of the Dena'ina revitalization goes to James Kari, who
      spent 30 years working on a dictionary that's on sale now, as well. Boraas
      said Kari came to Alaska in the 1970s after studying Navajo and worked with
      Peter Kalifornsky to develop his dictionary.

      "He began recording before computers," Boraas said. "He would write the
      word as people said it, develop the spelling system and just build up
      massive amounts of information."

      Kari's dictionary took him to Nondalton and Tyonek, where he would seek out
      Native speakers in order to expand it.

      "What's so remarkable about it is if it wouldn't have been done over this
      30-year period, it would never have been done because the youngest speaker
      that we know of is 60 years old and most are in their 70s or 80s," Boraas
      said.

      "This dictionary is a great achievement. In a hundred years it will be
      considered the most important book produced during this time period for
      this part of Alaska."

      Finding people who actively speak the Dena'ina language is one of the most
      difficult parts of revitalizing it. Boraas said a lot of people know the
      language, but because of language extinction policies in place as recent as
      the 1960s, some were severely punished for speaking it.

      "Children, if they spoke the Native language in most parts of Alaska,
      including the Kenai Peninsula, would have their mouths washed out with soap
      or be beaten," Boraas said. "Now those folks are elders."

      To the Kenaitze Indian Tribe, language revitalization ties into their sense
      of identity, Lindgren said.

      "Why is it important that we revitalize a Native language? It defines who
      we are, and it defines the relationship to where we are," she said.
      "Imagine how you would feel if the United States were to sell Alaska, and
      that company or that country that bought the land mass that's Alaska came
      in and said you may no longer speak English."

      Lindgren said the grant money allowed them to initiate a Head Start program
      centered on language revitalization. The Alaska Native Heritage Center also
      has a middle school program centered on the Dena'ina language and the
      Alaska Native Language Center is training teachers.

      "Alan's Web site falls into the middle of that," she said.

      The majority of the tribe's 1,200 members live in Anchorage, Soldotna and
      Kenai, but the Web site is an important tool for members scattered across
      the country.

      "The people who don't live here can access the language their grandmother
      spoke," Lindgren said. "It's a wonderful opportunity, and we'll just wait
      to see how far it goes."

      Jessica Cejnar can be reached at jessica.cejnar@....