N.B. woman recording elders speaking Maliseet for posterity

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 10, 2007
      http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2007/08/08/nb-maliseetclips.ht
      ml

      N.B. woman recording elders speaking Maliseet for posterity

      Last Updated: Wednesday, August 8, 2007 | 2:40 PM AT
      CBC News

      A New Brunswick woman has launched an online campaign to save a dying
      native language.

      Imelda Perley says her new project hopes to capture the voices of about 100
      people in New Brunswick, most of them elders, who speak Maliseet as their
      first language.

      Perley, who has devoted her life to connecting Maliseet people to their
      culture as a university and high school teacher, says the fact children
      aren't speaking the language means Maliseet is facing a real threat.

      "It's been taught in schools in the community, but it's been taught as a
      subject and not something you can carry," she said. "I'm really worried
      that it's going to become extinct."

      She says she hopes her site will generate more interest in Maliseet.

      "I think there's going to be a generation who's going to embrace us and
      thank us for leaving it behind for them, and they'll carry it forward,"
      Perley said. "If it isn't this generation, it will be a generation coming."