Spokane baseball team works with Indian tribe on new logo

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30 8:26 AM
      http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/6420AP_BBM_Indians_Logo.html

      Wednesday, November 29, 2006 · Last updated 2:32 p.m. PT

      Spokane baseball team works with Indian tribe on new logo

      By JOHN K. WILEY
      ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

      SPOKANE, Wash. -- The Spokane Indians on Wednesday unveiled a new logo
      developed in conjunction with the minor league baseball team's namesake
      Spokane Tribe of Indians.

      In a rare instance of a sports team working with a local Indian tribe on
      the sensitive issues of racial stereotypes in nicknames, mascots or logos,
      the tribe gave its blessings to the design.

      The logo, a red 'S' over a baseball inside a circle containing two eagle
      feathers, replaces the existing logo that contains the words "Indians" and
      "Spokane" over a baseball.

      An alternate logo features the words "Spokane Indians Baseball Club"
      written in Salish, the native language of the tribe whose reservation is
      about 50 miles northwest of here.

      "We are excited about our new look, but most of all we are proud of our
      strong partnership with the Spokane Tribe," Spokane Indians President
      Andrew Billig said. "We wanted this new identity to show respect for the
      Spokane Tribe and honor the rich 104-year history of the team. I think we
      accomplished both of our goals."

      The Class A Northwest League team is affiliated with the Texas Rangers.

      The new logo and redesigned team uniforms were unveiled at Spokane's
      Northwest Museum of Arts and Culture, which features extensive Indian and
      baseball collections.

      Team officials said they wanted to avoid American Indian imagery when they
      began considering a new logo two years ago, but found in meetings with the
      tribe's culture committee that a design using subtle and respectful Indian
      images would be welcomed.

      "The Spokane Tribal Council, along with comments from its culture
      committee, and community elders wanted to use this opportunity to build a
      long-lasting successful working relationship with the baseball team
      carrying the Spokane Tribe's name," the tribal council said in a statement
      supporting the new logo.

      There are no plans for the team to have an Indian-themed mascot. The teams
      current mascot is called Otto the Spokanasauraus.

      The logo redesign comes as professional and college teams with Indian
      nicknames, logos or mascots are being criticized as culturally insensitive.

      Several universities changed or agreed to change their nicknames or logos
      after an NCAA policy discouraging use of ethnically or racially "hostile"
      or "abusive" nicknames, mascots and imagery was announced in 2005.

      The College of William & Mary in Virginia said it will phase out the use of
      the school's athletic logo, using two Indian feathers. Oklahoma's
      Northeastern State is changing its nickname from Redmen to RiverHawks to
      comply with the NCAA ban.

      The University of North Dakota sued the NCAA after its appeal to keep the
      Fighting Sioux nickname was rejected.

      The Washington Redskins of the NFL and major league baseball's Cleveland
      Indians and Atlanta Braves also have received criticism for their mascots
      or cheers.

      The Spokane Indians baseball team is owned by Brett Sports and
      Entertainment, which also owns the Spokane Chiefs minor league hockey team.