MASCOT: FSU has long history of hostility and abuse

  • Robert V. Schmidt
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 17, 2005
      http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050817/NEWS01/5081
      70377/1006

      August 17, 2005

      FSU worked to cultivate better image of Seminole

      BY AARON DESLATTE
      FLORIDA TODAY

      TALLAHASSEE - Christine McCall had just come home from visiting Florida
      State University's campus when members of her tribe approached her.

      "Everybody was asking me about how I felt about the use of the name," said
      the 18-year-old freshman from Hollywood, who is one of seven Seminole
      Indians enrolled on scholarship at FSU. "They were just asking me what I
      thought about it, and if FSU was using us in a bad way."

      McCall confessed she hadn't thought much about images like the famous
      Seminole half-blood Chief Osceola driving a flaming spear into the turf at
      Doak Campbell Stadium before football games.

      But among elders of the 3,100-member Seminole Tribe of Florida, the
      sentiment was stronger. "They've never been up there, and they don't really
      know what the opinion is. Are they respecting us, or are they just using us
      for a mascot like another school would use an animal?" McCall said.

      That question drove the NCAA this month to impose a policy punishing
      Florida State and 17 other schools for using "hostile and abusive" American
      Indian mascots. Florida State University has defended its "nearly 60-year
      history of honoring the Florida Seminoles" in appealing the mascot ban.

      But the relationship hasn't always been one of mutual respect.

      In the 1950s, historically inaccurate Plains Indians bearing hatchets, and
      Chief Fullabull, who acted drunk at basketball games and ceremonially
      massacred opposing mascot effigies, were used.

      Since, FSU has tried to make amends for its earliest depictions of
      Seminoles.

      In the 1950s, the Seminole started showing up on campus as a cartoon design
      of a Plains Indian called Sammy Seminole. When Joyotpaul Chaudhuri arrived
      on campus in 1969, the political science professor was disgusted to see the
      basketball team's mascot, Chief Fullabull, perform his act.

      "He would come out and make a fool of himself on the floor. If they were
      playing Arkansas, maybe he would get a fake pig and stab it, and blood
      would go everyplace," said Chaudhuri, whose late wife, Jean Chaudhuri, was
      a full-blooded Creek Indian from Oklahoma.

      When Joyotpaul and Jean Chaudhuri traveled to the Seminole reservations in
      South Florida, they told then-Chief Howard Tommie and tribal leaders how
      the Seminole was depicted.

      "They were upset," Chaudhuri recalled. "They didn't know because very few
      of them came up to Tallahassee to see a basketball game." After paying the
      campus a visit, Seminole leaders persuaded FSU to drop Chief Fullabull as
      its mascot. Sammy Seminole disappeared from the Florida Flambeau, the
      student newspaper, in 1972, according to university records. Formal
      recognition from the tribe for using the name and symbols came in 1975.

      In 1978, the tribe also worked with the school to develop the Chief Osceola
      mascot. It wasn't until 1992 that the Tribal Council would ask FSU to
      retire the image of a chief running with a hatchet. The current Seminole
      images were trademarked in 1980-81.

      At the request of FSU President T.K. Wetherell, the tribe passed a
      resolution in June that supported the school's Seminole mascot.

      In 1993, the Florida Seminoles' lobbyist, Stephen Bowers, also suggested
      the tribe should get a share of FSU's trademark concessions, possibly in
      the forms of scholarships, and that members should be allowed to sell arts
      and crafts on campus during home games.

      Now, Bowers said the tribe is satisfied with its relationship with FSU.

      "As a whole, the people themselves are very much in favor of the use,"
      Bowers said.

      Max Osceola, a member of the Tribal Council that governs the Florida
      Seminoles, said the tribe hasn't been interested in making money off their
      naming rights.

      "If we asked, I'm sure Florida State University would work something out,"
      Osceola said. "But any money we take would be money taken away from the
      education of students at Florida State, so the Seminole Tribe has not asked
      for any compensation."

      The university has provided 13 scholarships to tribe members. Three
      recognized Seminoles have graduated, the first in 1996. Tribal members
      receive tickets to football games when they request them, although Max
      Osceola said the Sept. 5 Miami-FSU game will be the first time he has
      accepted.

      Wetherell said last week the projects -- from building a chickee village in
      the fall near campus, raising money for a Seminole museum to developing a
      course on Seminole history -- were in keeping with the school's traditions
      of spreading awareness of the tribe.

      "We've only gone back in a more public manner in the last four years as the
      NCAA has come to some of these statements they've come to," Wetherell said.
      "This is not a last-minute deal that we've cooked up. This has been
      something that was going on when I was a student here 40 years ago.

      "We have grown that relationship, there's no doubt about that."