SAFE COMPUTING: Osama Captured

  • Senior Staff
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16, 2005
      The following advisory sent by KispokoT..thanks!!

      Osama Captured
      Virus: "Osama bin Laden Captured"

      http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/osamacaptured.asp
      Examples:

      [Collected on the Internet, 2004]

      Subject: Osama bin Laden Captured

      Hey, Just got this from CNN, Osama Bin Laden has been captured! A video and some pictures have been released. Go to the link below for pictures, I will update the page with the video as soon as I can.

      [Collected on the Internet, 2005]

      Turn on your TV.
      Osama Bin Laden has been captured.

      While CNN has no pictures at this point of time, the military channel (PPV) released some pictures.
      I managed to capture a couple of these pictures off my TV.
      Ive attached a slideshow containing all the pictures I managed to capture.
      I apologize for the low quality, its the best I could do at this point of time.
      Hopefully CNN will have pictures and a video soon.

      God bless the USA!

      Origins: There are few headlines that would grab the attention of more computer users around the world than "Osama bin Laden Captured," and that's exactly what whoever created these lures purporting to offer pictures and video of such an event was counting on to snare unsuspecting victims who use Microsoft platforms.

      The phrase "Osama bin Laden Captured" has been used at least twice by malicious hackers to entice e-mail users into loading viruses onto their computers. Back in 2004, "Osama bin Laden Captured" messages included a link to a file called EXPLOIT.EXE; when a message recipient clicked on the link to view what he thought were pictures of Osama bin Laden's capture, he ended up running a program which exploited a known security hole to download a trojan horse:
      The trojan opens a random port on the victim's machine. It sends the port information to a webpage at IP address 66.139.77.145. The trojan listens on the open port for instructions and redirects traffic to other IP addresses. Spammers and hackers can take advantage of compromised systems by using the infected computer as a middleman, allowing them to pass information through it and remain anonymous.
      In June 2005, a similarly-themed e-mail message used an attachment harboring an executable to place a different trojan horse on the user's system. By July 2005, this version of the virus had been repackaged and bore the headline "Osama Found Hanged."

      Additional information:
      [Backdoor-AZU] Backdoor-AZU
      (McAfee Security)
      Last updated: 29 July 2005
      http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=description&virus_k=100971

      The URL for this page is http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/osamacaptured.asp

      FEEDBACK?
      http://nativenewsonline.org/Guestbook/guestbook.cgi
      GIVE FOOD: THE HUNGERSITE
      http://www.thehungersite.com/
      Reprinted under Fair Use http://nativenewsonline.org/fairuse.htm
      Tsonkwadiyonrat (We are ONE Spirit)
      Native News Online a Service of Barefoot Connection