Magic Johnson Teams Up With Native Americans, Uses Hip Hop & B-Ball To Speak On Issues

  • Tim Hundsdorfer
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 15, 2005
      http://soundslam.com/articles/news/news.php?news=050815_magicj

      Author: SoundSlam
      Aug. 15, 2005 - Los Angeles, CA

      In a recent union between NAYEF, the Native American Youth & Elders
      Foundation, and the Magic Johnson Foundation alongside the former NBA
      All-Star's clothing line, Magic 32, the two groups have organized a
      basketball league with the help of local DJ's as an avenue to uplifting
      Native American communities. The partnership resulted in the establishment
      of the Magic 32 NAYEF All-Stars team comprised of mostly Native Americans.
      The goal of the group is to use both hip hop and basketball as an
      inspirational tool to resurrect positivity in various communities. And how
      will they reach these communities, one might ask?

      Simple. The Magic 32 NAYEF All-Stars are touring the country and holding
      basketball tournaments at numerous Indian reservations and Tribal grounds
      throughout America. This will bring fun and excitement to each locale, in
      addition to providing an outlet for discussion on issues plaguing many of
      these areas, such as poverty, suicide, alcoholism, and using
      self-empowerment to find one's own niche in their community and the world.

      NAYEF was started by CEO & President Nelson Hernandez as a non-profit
      organization established in Utah. He states that "Our mission is to simply
      empower the kids that are native to this country through sports, music and
      mentoring." He continued, "We are trying to get kids to realize that they
      are not invisible and that they deserve a voice and NAYEF is that voice."
      NAYEF also hopes to establish a much stronger presence in hip hop, as well,
      which is today's youth culture and voice in this nation and in many
      countries around the globe.

      The Magic 32 NAYEF All-Stars are just starting up the second leg of their
      nation-wide tour. The first stop will take place at Dry Creek Rancheria Band
      in Pomo, California and will continue through until ending in Lawrence,
      Kansas.

      Nelson Hernandez would like for people to know that "Our players and DJ's
      are role models in the community and have turned their lives around. This is
      what we want to show kids. Never give up regardless of where you grew up.
      The projects, ghetto, reservations, it's all the same. Why not do things
      better, why not work harder, why not make things happen?" And Magic Johnson
      tops it off by speaking out to all, stating "With these programs we hope to
      create a bridge between the old ways and the new ways." Johnson continued,
      declaring "We hope to inspire not only Native children but all ages of all
      races to challenge themselves and make their dreams become reality. Our
      basketball team and presentations are the mouthpiece and living message that
      kids see in person."

      Additional information and tour dates can be found at
      http://www.magicjohnson.org and through the NAYEF President and CEO, Nelson
      Hernandez, at nayefceo@....