Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Feds and Ont. tell Six Nations Chief to stop protesters from harassing locals

Expand Messages
  • Don
    ... From: RUSSELL DIABO To: Undisclosed-Recipient:;@priv-edmwaa03.telusplanet.net Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2006 11:13 AM Subject: Feds and Ont. tell Six
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2006
    • 0 Attachment
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: RUSSELL DIABO
      To: Undisclosed-Recipient:;@...
      Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2006 11:13 AM
      Subject: Feds and Ont. tell Six Nations Chief to stop protesters from harassing locals




      Feds and Ont. tell Six Nations Chief to stop protesters from harassing locals


      Thursday, August 31, 2006

      TORONTO (CP) - The federal and Ontario governments are telling Six Nations leaders to stop aboriginal protesters from harassing residents in Caledonia.

      The ministers responsible for aboriginal affairs from each government have written Chief Allen MacNaughton seeking to ease the "considerable degree of tension" in Caledonia.

      The ministers blame the tension on harassment by some occupiers towards nearby residents, and on occasional "provocative actions" directed towards the protesters.

      Aboriginals have occupied the site of a partially built housing project in Caledonia since February, saying the land was wrongfully taken from them over 200 years ago.

      The ministers warn Chief MacNaughton of the serious consequences of further disturbances in Caledonia.

      They call for an end to "loud noises, firecrackers, bright lights from ATVs and other vehicles, and any other activities that disturb the peace in neighbouring areas."

      Three people were injured in a fire Wednesday night in an unfinished home on the occupied housing site.

      Six Nations firefighters attended the blaze, but a local resident says members of the Caledonia fire department had to standby idly in a nearby parking lot.

      The province bought the Douglas Creek site last month and has allowed the protesters to stay while negotiations with the two levels of government continue.

      But Premier Dalton McGuinty said Wednesday it was unacceptable for them to remain on the land over the winter.


      © The Canadian Press, 2006


      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.