Racist e-mail spurs probes among RCMP, police

  • Robert V. Schmidt
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2005
      http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/11/22/native-song-051122.html

      Racist e-mail spurs probes among RCMP, police
      Last Updated Tue, 22 Nov 2005 18:28:08 EST
      CBC News

      Several police forces across the country are investigating after some
      officers circulated an e-mail containing a profanity-laced song that refers
      to native people drinking, sniffing gas and committing crimes.

      It contains a song called the Native Rap that includes the lyrics, "The
      RCMP is always chasing me/'Cause I'm a smelly f***ing native and I can't
      even see."

      It continues to talk about natives robbing liquor stores, punching old
      ladies, "curb-stomping Whities," slapping women and shaking babies.

      The audio file was obtained by CBC News, which tracked it to one officer at
      Peel Regional Police in Brampton, Ont.

      When the CBC told the force about the e-mail, it immediately started a
      professional standards investigation.

      But the e-mail had already been forwarded to nearly two dozen people,
      including an Ontario government employee, seven Peel police employees and
      seven RCMP officers.

      Eventually, it landed in the in-boxes of several First Nations RCMP
      officers and one of them complained.

      Dean Fontaine, who recently retired from the RCMP after 22 years, said he
      received a copy of the e-mail at his current workplace, the Assembly of
      First Nations.

      Fontaine, who was a decorated RCMP officer, said most officers were "very
      dedicated" but he still had to silently endure racist remarks early in his
      career.

      "Unfortunately, there are racist police officers out there and
      unfortunately, it just takes a handful of these police officers to make
      everybody look bad."

      An RCMP spokesperson, Staff Sgt. Paul Marsh, said the force has been
      investigating the offensive e-mail since July.

      "There's no doubt, though, that the audio clip is reprehensible," Marsh
      said.

      "We're determined to get to the bottom of it, to make sure where did this
      come from and if it is from within the RCMP, that people be disciplined for
      those improper actions."

      Peel Regional Police also launched an investigation.

      The complainant in the case declined to speak to CBC News, concerned about
      repercussions.

      The RCMP says it encourages its employees to come forward with any
      complaints of racial harassment.

      However, a number of RCMP officers told CBC News, on the condition of
      anonymity, that such complaints often lead to being ostracized by
      co-workers and can ruin any chance of promotion within the force.