First Ministers to tackle aboriginal poverty

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2005
      From: RUSSELL DIABO
      To: Undisclosed-Recipient:;
      Sent: Thursday, September 01, 2005 6:38 AM
      Subject: First Ministers to tackle aboriginal poverty

      First Ministers to tackle aboriginal poverty

      Fall meeting to unveil massive financial backing

      By FP Staff

      PM Paul Martin prepares to show he has listened to Aboriginal Peoples' pleas

      The scheduled first ministers conference to be held this fall in Vancouver is expected to result in a financial commitment of nearly $2 billion in new funding by the federal government to kick-start Prime Minister Paul Martin's earlier commitments of instituting "transformative change" for Canada's Aboriginal People, according to Ottawa sources.

      In fact, AFN leader Phil Fontaine prised a commitment from the countries premiers and territorial leaders in August to tackle the issue of aboriginal poverty and the disparity in health and living conditions between native peoples and the general non-aboriginal population.

      Some of the announcements expected by Martin at the first ministers conference will be the creation of a national housing plan to work with the private sector and provincial governments to expand on- and off-reserve housing construction. Bands will be encouraged to take advantage of recent legislation that will allow them to move away from communal band ownership and towards increased individual home ownership, a key source of asset creation for non-aboriginal Canadians.

      The intent, according to the source, is to spark the creation of a large aboriginal middle class. And the federal government is also talking about a comprehensive education strategy to help create regional school boards to assist on-reserve schools, which currently have no outside support to assess students or recruit teachers.

      The new funding would also be aimed at encouraging the development of innovative steps of so called "magnet schools" that are open to both off-reserve aboriginals and non-aboriginals.

      The magnet school concept, already implemented successfully at the Amiskwaciy Academy in Edmonton, follows provincial school curriculum but includes courses in aboriginal history, literature and culture.

      The November first ministers meeting, which will include the full participation of leaders of the five major national aboriginal groups, is also expected to lead to a 10-year plan that will include an agreement to measure the government's progress in meeting various objectives and targets.

      Martin insists he is deeply committed to making concrete progress on the aboriginal file insists the fall meeting will be about more than rhetoric.

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2005