Telegraph Journal - Deal called 'breakthrough'

  • Senior Staff
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2001
      From: " JJ.Bear" <jj.bear@...>

      Deal called 'breakthrough'

      Telegraph-Journal
      OTTAWA - Federal Fisheries Minister Herb Dhaliwal is hailing his
      department's first interim fishing deal in New Brunswick as a "breakthrough"
      for peace on the water in the province.

      Red Bank Indian Band has inked a three-year deal with Ottawa that includes
      money for everything from fishing licences to gear and training.

      "I think every time we sign an agreement it's a breakthrough," Mr. Dhaliwal
      said in confirming the agreement during an interview Wednesday.

      "I think this will be a model in terms of how to create real opportunities
      for some of our aboriginal communities," he added. "It's a very good sign."

      Mr. Dhaliwal said he did not have the specifics of the deal, but he said it
      is part of the "hundreds of millions of dollars" Ottawa will spend trying to
      sign new deals with the 34 native bands in Atlantic Canada and Quebec
      affected by the Supreme Court of Canada's 1999 Marshall decision. That
      ruling gave Mi'kmaq and Maliseet bands the right to earn a moderate
      livelihood from year-round fishing, hunting and gathering.

      Red Bank is the fifth band - after two in Quebec and two in Nova Scotia - to
      sign an interim deal, and Mr. Dhaliwal said his federal negotiator James
      MacKenzie is in discussions with "many more" bands.

      He said, however, that it's "difficult to predict" if a deal can be reached
      with Burnt Church First Nation, where some of the most violent clashes have
      occurred between native fishermen and fishery officials.

      [If you got here from frontpage Native News Online, click here to return: http://216.97.43.231/ ]

      Reprinted under the Fair Use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html doctrine of international copyright law. Full copyright retained by the original publication.
      Tsonkwadiyonrat (We are ONE Spirit)
      http://nativenewsonline.org/
      Native News Online
      a Service of Barefoot Connection

      "The true movement isn't a thing, or some collective entity of people, or even any person. It has no form or structure and so can't be distributed, or possessed, or detained. No one else can exclude you, as you must invite yourself." - Rush (When We Were Iron)
      FREE LEONARD PELTIER!! "YOU ~ARE~ THE MESSAGE"