The AFNQL Is Asking Premier Charest For a Formal Commitment to Consult...

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2005
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: CNW Portfolio System
      To: Portfolio E-Mail
      Sent: Friday, July 08, 2005 7:32 AM
      Subject: The AFNQL Is Asking Premier Charest For a Formal Commitment to Consult...

      CNW Group Portfolio E-Mail

      ASSEMBLY OF FIRST NATIONS OF QUEBEC AND LABRADOR

      Transmitted by CNW Group on : July 8, 2005 10:31
      The AFNQL Is Asking Premier Charest For a Formal Commitment to Consult the First Nations on the Territory and Resources Issues

      WENDAKE, July 8 /CNW Telbec/ - The Regional Chief of the Assembly of
      First Nations of Quebec and Labrador (AFNQL), Mr. Ghislain Picard, is asking
      Premier Charest to commit the government of Quebec formally to a true
      consultation of the First Nations.
      "When will true consultation begin in good faith and on clear basis, is
      asking Regional Chief Picard? Rather than adding fuel to the fire, the
      government of Quebec should finally sit down at the table with an open mind
      and an objective of fairness, which Quebec has failed to do so far."
      This is how Regional Chief Picard reacted to the recent announcement made
      by Minister Kelly, regarding a committee intended at establishing a policy of
      consultation of the First Nations, following the judicial saga surrounding the
      issue of Ile René-Levasseur.
      The AFNQL is not closing the door to this proposal of Minister Kelley,
      but is asking for a personal commitment from the Premier towards a formal and
      fair consultation process.
      "The Premier of Quebec has the duty to do everything in his power to
      ensure harmonious relations between Quebecers and the First Nations. This is
      the objective of the Mutual Political Commitment signed with the Charest
      government in June of 2003. Time has come to give its full meaning to this
      political commitment.
      As for our part, added Regional Chief Picard, we have honored our
      commitment: we did present the government of Quebec with proposals and
      modalities which went unheeded. What other means do we have left to have our
      rights asserted peacefully, rights which are embedded in the Constitution and
      recognized in numerous judgments, and which Quebec persists in denying"
      concluded Regional Chief Ghislain Picard.

      The Assembly of First Nations of Quebec and Labrador is the regional
      entity representing the Chiefs of the First Nations of Quebec and Labrador.

      -30-

      /For further information: Alain Garon, Information and Communication
      Officer, AFNQL, (418) 842-5020, Cell.: (418) 956-5720/