GWAII SGAANAWAAY SIIGAA IIJAA: BULLETIN No.7

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2005
      From: "Simon Davies" <gaia@...>
      To: <Media Dist>
      Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 11:48 AM
      Subject: BULLETIN No.7

      http://www.haidanation.ca
      new info up

      ISLANDS BULLETIN NO. 7

      March 30, 2005

      To all Islands people,

      ISLANDS SPIRIT RISING
      GWAII SGAANAWAAY SIIGAA IIJAA

      March 30, 2005

      To all Islands people,

      INTERESTING FACT - If you converted the total number of trees cut on Haida
      Gwaii into telephone poles and lined them up end to end, they would circle
      the earth 24 times.

      Out of respect for the Decock family and the memorial for Doug Jr. and
      Trevor held in Port Clements this past weekend, the Yakoun Line was taken
      down for a few days. As of Tuesday the line is back up and the camp is
      becoming more comfortable
      - a cookhouse is being built and toilets are in place.

      Masset Mayor Barry Pages visited both lines yesterday and expressed strong
      support for this action. Mayor Pages encourages the government to come up
      here and enter into negotiation to address the issues and find creative
      solutions together - not ignore the issue. Spirits are high and commitment
      is strong.

      People from the Honna and Yakoun Lines headed north to attend a Healing
      dinner for Margaret Edgars who suffered an aneurism last year while reading
      the section on plants of the Haida Land Use Vision. It was a well attended
      dinner with good speeches and fun times. We are all very happy that Margaret
      has fully recovered and that she is continuing her work to bring attention
      to plants and the land. Margaret says she is supportive of this action to
      change the way the Islands' forests are managed.

      In the new Ministry of Forests digs, locally known as the White House,
      District Manager Len Munt is heading off-Island for a while and Cindy Stern
      (formerly Krishka) will be picking up the active files. Some of you may
      recall that Ms. Stern was District Manager on the Islands a while back.

      In the past couple of days there have been discussions between the CHN,
      local government and the Provincial government here on-Island. Brascan has
      been in contact with the CHN but there has been no word from Weyerhaueser.

      BEING PART OF THIS
      People have been asking how they can be part of Islands Spirit Rising. There
      are more ways than we can count: you can stand on the line, donate food and
      other materials for the camps, fundraise, distribute bulletins, and recruit
      others to lend a hand! See reverse side for more ideas.
      Please call May Russ in the north, 626-5252 and Melinda Pick in the south,
      559-4468 or 559-8834) if you can help in any way.

      WINNERS!
      The raffle organized by Jenny Cross raised $447,48. Pete Thompson won the
      wool blanket with the Reg Davidson design. Taang.gunaay Satu Grinder won the
      salmon cushion. And Dianne Daschuk won the eagle scarf; congratulations all
      and watch for more raffles and prizes.

      VOLUNTEER SIGN UP INFORMATION
      Call May Russ to sign on: 1-250-626-5252 or toll free 1-888-638-7778 or home
      626-5037. Call Nika's Danny at 559-8133 and leave a message if the machine
      comes on. To strengthen our action we are inviting people to join us at the
      line. Shifts on the Line have been set up. They are 4 hours each - a small
      investment to ensure our Islands future. Please contact Melinda Pick or at
      559-8834 or or Cindy Blake. Information is also available at
      www.haidanation.ca