Passing of Mary John

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2004
      Hadih

      With a heavy heart, I pass on word of the passing of our Elder, Mary John from Saik'uz. You may have read about her life in the book Stoney Creek Woman. Mary passed on this morning at the age of 91.

      Mussi cho

      Don Bain
      Lheidli T'enneh

      Stoney Creek Woman
      The Story of Mary John
      The captivating story of Mary John, a pioneering Carrier Native whose life on the Stoney Creek reserve in central British Columbia is a capsule history of First Nations life from a unique woman's perspective. A mother of twelve, Mary endured much tragedy and heartbreak - the pangs of racism, poverty, and the deaths of six children - but has survived with extraordinary grace and courage. She continues to be a positive role model. In 1997 she received the Order of Canada.

      http://www.arsenalpulp.com/select_book.php?book=37