Tamra's family called 'key target' of police probe

  • Senior Staff
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 15, 2004
      Tamra's family called 'key target' of police probe
      http://sask.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=tamra040714

      REGINA - Regina police are investigating what they call unexplained comings and goings on the night Tamra Jewel Keepness disappeared.

      Police Chief Cal Johnston says the family will be re-interviewed.

      However, Tamra's stepfather, Dean McArthur, told the National Post the family has become "key targets" of the police investigation. McArthur said his wife was not home on the night in question, and, he said, their 11-year-old daughter has been pressured by police to implicate them.

      McArthur told the paper he and Tamra's mother, Lorena, have also given police names of five people who may be connected with her disappearance, including a convicted sex offender.

      Tamra disappeared from her bedroom on July 5, and was reported missing by her family the next day. Police called off the official search for the missing aboriginal girl Monday at 9 p.m.

      Tamra's mother and stepfather have criticized police for stopping the search.

      FROM JULY 13, 2004: Police end search for Tamra, offer $25,000 reward
      http://sask.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=tamra_040713

      Meanwhile, a First Nations organization is hoping to continue where police left off.

      The Federation of Saskatchewan Indian Nations says other people will continue looking for the girl. Guy Lonechild, a vice-chief of the FSIN, says his organization has supported the effort by Regina Police Chief Cal Johnston to find Tamra. Now, he says, First Nations volunteers will pick up the search.

      "We've ... gotten offers from northern Saskatchewan. The communities of La Ronge and Montreal Lake are sending their expert search teams to Regina to assist in the search," Lonechild says.

      Tamra's mother was not available after the police news conference, Tuesday. But, earlier, she expressed disappointment that the police search was ending.

      Lorena Keepness said the family would likely keep up its effort to find Tamra.

      "Oh, of course, of course. We have posters. We got another couple hundred posters here and we're going to keep going."

      Meanwhile, the FSIN says there are hundreds of other missing aboriginal children all over Canada.

      Lonechild says he hopes the case of Tamra Keepness will also shine a light on some of those other cases, and perhaps help solve them.

      =========+=========
      FEEDBACK?
      http://nativenewsonline.org/Guestbook/guestbook.cgi
      GIVE FOOD: THE HUNGERSITE
      http://www.thehungersite.com/
      Reprinted under the Fair Use http://nativenewsonline.org/fairuse.htm
      Tsonkwadiyonrat (We are ONE Spirit)
      Native News Online
      a Service of Barefoot Connection

      FREE LEONARD PELTIER!! "YOU ~ARE~ THE MESSAGE"