First nations urge politicians to make aboriginal issues a priority

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2004
      First nations urge politicians to make aboriginal issues a priority

      Vancouver Sun

      July 2, 2004
      http://www.canada.com/vancouver/vancouversun/news/westcoastnews/story.html?id=45e35d74-c89b-44e7-abeb-dd3823c71df1

      NORTH VANCOUVER - An organization that speaks for first nations communities involved in treaty talks congratulated Paul Martin and the Liberals on their election win and appealed for aboriginal issues to be pushed to the fore in the next Parliament.

      The First Nations Summit also wrote other party leaders requesting an early meeting with each to talk about treaty issues.

      "We encourage Prime Minister Martin and his minority government to work collectively with the other federal parties to make sure aboriginal issues are given the top priority they deserve," said Grand Chief Edward John, a member of the Summit's political executive.

      "Our expectation will be for all parties to work together to ensure this minority Liberal government honours its fiduciary obligation to uphold aboriginal and Treaty Rights in Canada and to make the resolution of fair and equitable treaties in B.C. a top priority."