NWT, Exploration application worries Deh Cho

  • Ishgooda, Senior Staff
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1 6:49 AM
      Exploration application worries Deh Cho
      WebPosted May 31 2004 09:26 AM CDT
      http://north.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=nwt-horne30052004

      YELLOWKNIFE - People in the Deh Cho region of the N.W.T. say they are prepared to fight to protect Edehzie, also known as the Horn Plateau.

      The area was given interim protection two years ago while the Deh Cho First Nations negotiated their land claim and self-government agreement.

      But an Alberta woman applied to explore for minerals, oil and gas in the traditional hunting ground before the protection was in place. The Mackenzie Valley Land and Water Board is now considering that application.

      The chief of Fort Providence, Berna Landry, is one of the local leaders who opposes the exploration permit.

      Landry is upset that fuel and equipment are already being stored in the area.

      "There's a lot of game, good water, lots of fish, lots of berries," said Landry.

      "It's a beautiful place up there."

      Herb Norwegian, the grand chief of the Deh Cho First Nations, said he will let that review process run its course.

      "Of course if they get their land use permit approved, well then it becomes pretty difficult for them because then we would just kick it up a notch," said Norwegian.

      " There are other things that we can do and we want to play by the rules."

      Other people have opposed the application, including the chiefs of Fort Providence and Wrigley.

      The Mackenzie Valley Land and Water board will meet this week to discuss the land use application.

      =========+=========
      FEEDBACK?
      http://nativenewsonline.org/Guestbook/guestbook.cgi
      WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT?
      NatNews_chat-SUBSCRIBE@yahoogroups.com
      Escribe archives
      http://escribe.com/culture/native_news/
      Reprinted under the Fair Use http://nativenewsonline.org/fairuse.htm
      Tsonkwadiyonrat (We are ONE Spirit)
      Native News Online
      a Service of Barefoot Connection

      FREE LEONARD PELTIER!! "YOU ~ARE~ THE MESSAGE"