UBCIC PRESS RELEASE: Union of BC Indian Chiefs Rallies to the Support of the Hospital Employees Union

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30 5:15 PM
      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: [PR-UBCIC] UBCIC PRESS RELEASE: Union of BC Indian Chiefs
      Rallies to the Support of the Hospital Employees Union
      Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 16:45:56 -0700
      From: UBCIC Media List <jpc1@...>
      To: undisclosed-recipients:;

      PRESS RELEASE
      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
      April 30, 2004

      Union of BC Indian Chiefs Rallies to the Support of the Hospital
      Employees Union

      (Coast Salish Territory/Vancouver, April 30, 2004) "The Union of BC
      Indian Chiefs is deeply honoured to offer its complete support to the
      Hospital Employees Union in their fight to protect the long-term
      wellbeing of the health care system for all British Columbians," stated
      Chief Stewart Phillip, President of the Union of BC Indian Chiefs.

      "The HEU is a dynamic reflection of the great diversity of cultures
      within BC. Many of HEU's members are Aboriginal. It is in this light
      that we offer our solidarity to all health care workers who are being
      compelled to protect their hard-earned gains in pay equity from the
      brutish and vicious attack of Gordon Campbell's Bill 37."

      As First Nations people we are very familiar with the heavy-handed
      tactics of the Campbell Government from the days of the racist
      referendum to the recent deceitful discussions of the BC Rail Deal.

      Chief Stewart Phillip concluded, "We are carefully considering what
      options and opportunities we may pursue to demonstrate our solidarity."

      - 30 -

      FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:
      Chief Stewart Phillip (250) 490-5314
      President, Union of British Columbia Indian Chiefs

      --

      Established in 1969, the Union of British Columbia Indian Chiefs is a
      political organization protecting the Aboriginal Title and Rights of our