Anishinabek Nation announces Youth Council election results

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 29, 2004
      From: portfolio@...
      To: Portfolio E-Mail
      Sent: Sunday, February 29, 2004 11:24 AM
      Subject: Anishinabek Nation announces Youth Council election results

      Canada NewsWire Portfolio E-Mail

      ANISHINABEK NATION

      Transmitted by Canada NewsWire on : Feburary 29, 2004 14:23
      Anishinabek Nation announces Youth Council election results

      LONDON, ON, Feb. 29 /CNW/ - First Nations youth from across Ontario have
      elected a new youth council who will provide a voice for young people for the
      whole of the Anishinabek Nation territory, from Thunder Bay (to the west),
      Ottawa Valley (to the east), the north shore of Lake Huron (to the north); and
      Sarnia (to the south). The Anishinabek Nation represents 43 First Nation
      communities in Ontario.
      The youth delegates took part in a three day conference entitled
      "Empowering the voice of our future leaders of Tomorrow", and will focus on
      supporting and empowering First Nations youth to provide advice and direction
      to First Nation leadership.
      Today, conference delegates assembled in their respective regions
      corresponding to the Anishinabek Nation structure (Lake Huron, Southeast,
      Southwest, and Northern Superior). At these caucuses, each region conducted
      nominations, and elected one male and one female representative that will
      become part of a new eight-person Anishinabek Nation Youth Council.
      The results of the youth council elections are:
      Southwest Region
      - Sandra Albert, Chippewas of the Thames
      - Arnold Yellowman, Chippewas of Aamjiwnaang
      Southeast Region
      - Katie Beaver, Alderville First Nation
      - Hank Monague, Beausoleil First Nation
      Lake Huron Region
      - Leah Boissoneau, Ojibways of Garden River First Nation
      - Travis Boissoneau, Ojibways of Garden River First Nation
      Northern Superior Region
      - Bess Legarde, Fort William First Nation
      - Derek Yellowhead, Namaygoosisagagun First Nation
      "I want to congratulate the youth of the Anishinabek Nation for coming
      together this weekend to participate in a well organized forum," said Grand
      Council Chief Earl Commanda. "I congratulate the elected youth leaders from
      the four regions. I make my commitment to working with the youth political
      representatives to ensure they are involved in the decision making of the
      Anishinabek Nation at all levels."
      "I take their issues seriously, and commit the resources within the
      organization, to follow up the youth representatives and their specific
      issues," he added.
      Over 70 delegates from over 30 First Nations are registered for the
      conference.
      The conference is sponsored in part by the Government of Canada, FedNor,
      Indian and Northern Affairs Canada, the Province of Ontario, and the Waubetek
      Business Development Corporation.
      The Anishinabek Nation incorporated the Union of Ontario Indians as its
      secretariat in 1949. The UOI is a political advocate for 43 member First
      Nations across Ontario. The Union of Ontario Indians is the oldest political
      organization in Ontario and can trace its roots back to the Confederacy of
      Three Fires, which existed long before European contact.

      -30-

      /For further information: Bob Goulais, info@...,
      (705) 497-9127, Cell: (705) 498-5250/