Fw: Commemorate Dudley George, Sept. 6 - 9 - 11pm... and more news!

  • Ishgooda, Senior Staff
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2003
      From: "Turtle Island Solidarity"
      Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 12:04:222 -0400
      Subject: Commemorate Dudley George, Sept. 6 - 9 - 11pm... and more news!

      Honor Dudley George -- Remember Ipperwash -- Support Aboriginal Land and Treaty Rights

      SEPTEMBER 6th VIGIL
      with Eagleheart Singers and Wanda Whitebird
      9 - 11 pm (the time of the armed police assault, in which Dudley's life was taken)
      Queen's Park, Toronto
      in front of the legislature, north of University Avenue & College Street

      This is a very important year for those of us who have worked hard to make sure that the sacrifice of Dudley George's life was not in vain... That the truth is beginning to come out, after eight long years of struggle... Join the Coalition for a Public Inquiry into Ipperwash at this Vigil in remembrance of Dudley George, where you can get reports on:
      -- Minister Runciman's office illegally blocked release of photo and video materials too the courts and the media
      -- the court case against Harris et al for the "Wrongful Death" of Dudley George begins September 22ndd (note date change) --- finally!!!
      -- Toronto Teachers' Federation is founding a scholarship in Dudley's name
      -- Amnesty International's current largescale lobbying effort for justice on Ipperwash>
      -- the Chief Coroner's response to request for a long-overdue inquest.

      Events to remember and commemorate the events of September 6, 1995 on the Aazhoodena territory (also known as Ipperwash Park) have already been held and more are being organized in other centres across the region of Ontario.
      If you cannot get to Toronto for this vigil and would like contacts in your region to learn if something is being planned locally, please hit "reply" to make your inquiry.

      //////////|||||||||\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////||||||||\\\\\\\\\\\
      \\\\\\\\\\|||||||||/////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\||||||||///////////
      OTHER NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS...
      1) Rebel Youth Network Presents: Cafe Che - Defend Aboriginal Rights! Fundraiser for Toronto Native Youth
      2) The Gathering of the Good Minds: A Celebration of Native Arts, Wisdom and Culture
      3) CanWest report that PM loses interest in unpopular native bill [FNGA] - but don't count your chickens yet!

      Rebel Youth Network Presents:
      Cafe Che - Defend Aboriginal Rights!

      A Fundraiser for Toronto Native Youth
      . Speakers from Toronto Native Youth
      . Speakers from Stop The FNGA Coalition
      . Speakers from The Spot (KWYC)
      . Poetry by Karen Silverwomyn
      . Hip-Hop by Genetix
      . Open Mic: BRING YOUR STUFF!

      $5 or PWYC
      7 pm - Sunday, August 31st
      [ http://www.oasisrestaurant.ca/ ]Oasis Bar & Res.. - 780 Queen St. E. (east of Broadview)
      19+ (Sorry)
      (Money will be used to send a delegate to the Native Youth Movement conference in Vancouver.)

      In the meanwhile, check us out at:
      [ http://www.freewebs.com/tny ]www.freewebs.com/tny
      [ http://rebelyouth.ca/ ]http://rebelyouth.ca/

      The Gathering of Good Minds
      Anna Fleet for Canadian Aboriginal News
      LONDON ON --On September 26th, 27th and 28th visitors to the city of London, Ontario will have a rare opportunity to experience Abooriginal Canadian film, visual arts and performance, workshops, teaching circles with Elders and numerous children's activities first-hand, during The Gathering of the Good Minds: A Celebration of Native Arts, Wisdom and Culture.

      Presented by The Gathering of the Good Minds Committee, which includes Wiiche Ke Yig, Museum London, Museum of Archeology, Nokee Kwe, N'Amerind Friendship Centre, Children's Museum and various other community volunteers, the three-day festival will comprise First Nations Elders, traditional teachers, artists, dancers, singers, storytellers, filmmakers, writers and comedians.
      Opening ceremonies, hosted by conductor and spiritual teacher Dan Smoke-Asayenes, will take place at Museum London on Friday September 26th at 7 p.m. Museum London events will include the primary art exhibition, performances, and workshops in progress that will continue through to Sunday. A series of events will also take place at the Museum of Archeology on Sunday and at Covent Garden Market throughout the weekend. The public is also invited to attend Sunrise Ceremonies that will commence every morning at 6a.m. on the Museum's lawn. Breakfast and refreshments will follow at approximately 8 a.m. A Sacred Fire, honoring Spirit and life, will be kept aflame throughout the weekend. Vendors will showcase Aboriginal crafts in the Market for the duration of the festival.
      A direct bus route will be available for patrons to attend both locations and admission to all events is free. For more information on the festival, artists, elders, and performers visit <http://www.thegatheringofgoodminds.netfirms.com/>www.thegatheringofgoodminds.netfirms.com
      June 20, 2003 portions of a MEDIA RELEASE from
      The Gathering of the Good Minds: A Celebration of Native Arts, Wisdom and Culture media contact people:

      Dan Smoke - Asayenes
      #61-1290 Sandford St.
      LONDON, Ontario N5V 3Y2
      5l9 659-4682
      <mailto:dsmoke@...>dsmoke@...

      Amanda Eisen
      137 Dundas St.
      London, Ontario N5Y 3W5
      Tel: (519) 667-7088
      Fax: (519) 667-4872
      Email: <mailto:small_turtle@...>small_turtle@...
      Website: <http://www.thegatheringofgoodminds.netfirms.com/>www.thegatheringofgoodminds.netfirms.com

      THE GATHERING OF THE GOOD MINDS: A CELEBRATION OF NATIVE ARTS, WISDOM AND CULTURE,
      September 26 - 28, 2003, INVITED PRESENTERS

      Alanis Obomsawin
      Distinguished filmmaker, singer, storyteller and author, Alanis Obomsawin is a member of the Abenaki Nation. In 1967 she directed her first film, Christmas at Moose Factory, for the Canadian National Film Board. Her latest film Rocks at Whiskey Trench is her fourth powerful documentary feature describing her impressions of the Oka crisis. Obomsawin has earned more than 30 awards for her films internationally, as well as being honored with the Order of Canada (1983), the federal government's highest honour, and a
      Governor General Award (2001) for her long-standing contribution and commitment to Aboriginal Canadian cultural heritage.
      Robbie Antone
      A local performer, originally from the Oneida Settlement by Lambeth, Ontario. Robbie has been singing the blues for several years. He has been a guest on the hit TV show Buffalo Tracks (APTN).

      Ida Baptiste
      Ojibway woman originally from the Berens River in Manitoba. She has lived in London, Ontario for several years, creating many fine oil paintings. Ida graduated with a Honours B.A. from Trent University and has received her Ontario Teacher Certificate. Ida also has some beautiful beadwork to share. She has learned the fine art of Petote stitching from Mary Lou Smoke and has gone on to create some beautiful patterns while applying beadwork to some Sacred items.
      Danny Beaton
      A Mohawk with roots in the Six Nations, now lives in Toronto. Danny has been active in the Native cultural and arts' scene for many years. He was the a principal organizer of "Project Indigenous Restoration" in 1992, which featured elders, artists and healers
      from across Canada, the USA and South America. Danny is also a portrait photographer and now a documentary film-maker. His many movies have been shown on various T.V. programs for the past decade.

      Dylan Campbell
      An invited artist - was born Native but raised in a Scottish family in Southwestern Ontario. A self taught artist and sculptor, his first print "Spiritual Awakening" is worth five times its original price. His early work was in black and white but in more recent productions he uses shading and colour to achieve greater dimension. His sculptures use bone and copper, and won a juried exhibition for "Predominate Accession." He has won an Ontario Arts Council grant.
      Philip Cote
      An invited artist - is an Ojibway man who resides in Toronto. Phillip works with oils to create outstanding, legendary creations on canvas. He also works with soapstone and at present is traveling to reserves in Ontario demonstrating the fine art of Soap-stoning.

      Sean Couchie
      An invited artist - is Ojibway of the Nipissing First Nation and has been living in London for 26 years. He studied art and architecture in high school and advertising art at Fanshawe College. He won two prizes from the Peace Hills Trust Native Art Contest for "If I Had Wings" and "Vision Seeker". Oils, airbrush, pen and ink, scratch-board and wood-burning are used for creations for Ontario Native organizations, calendars, posters, books and magazines, always showing Natives in a positive perspective.

      Tim Dillon
      A Metis/Anishinabek from the Bruce Peninsula now living in London. He is a local entertainer writing and singing Rock and Country music with his guitar. He has performed with Jade Idols and other groups at various clubs. A graduate in computer programming at
      Fanshawe College he founded London Cyber Studio providing recording and engineering servic es for London Musicians. He is currently producing his own solo CD.

      Terry Dokis
      An Ojibway originally from the Dokis First Nation. Terry resides in North Bay and teaches in the social work field at Canadore College. Terry is a Medicine Wheel facilitator and explains the application of the Medicine Wheel to health and intervention. Terry has offered to fly in from North Bay and teach a drumming and sonics workshop, traditional meditation workshop or something more closely related to social work.

      Bruce Elijah
      An Oneida Faith keeper of the Wolf Clan. He is a very respected Elder. He sits with the Elders Council of the Chiefs of Ontario organization and the Assembly of First Nations. He is widely sought for his traditional wisdom workshops and teaches the Old Ways. He is very knowledgeable about the Great Law of Peace, the constitution of the Haudenosaunee People. He cond ucts
      sunrise ceremonies as well as Sweat Lodge Ceremonies in treatment centres and other residential care facilities for Native people.

      Norma General
      A clan mother from the Mohawk Nation who resides on the Grand River territory of the Six Nations Reserve. She has been raised in the Traditional manner of her ancestors, being the daughter of Onondaga Chief Oliver Jacobs, in the Onondaga Long house. She has worked extensively as a healing and wellness co-ordinator for Friendship Centres. She conducts workshops for all ages on Tradition l teachings. She also employs play therapy in her workshops.

      Vern Harper
      Resident Elder of the Toronto Community. Having walked the talk for the last three decades, Vern has helped many Native People find their way back onto the Red Road. Vern has a Sweat Lodge outside the city of Guelph where he holds Sweat Lodge Ceremonies on a weekly and as need basis. Vern is Cree, originally from Saskatchewan.

      Dr. Dawn M. Hill
      Mohawk, Wolf Clan living at Six Nations of the Grand River. Her doctoral thesis Spirit of Resistance: The Lubicon Lake Nation, is being published by the U of T press. She is the Academic Director of the Indigenous Studies Program at McMaster University. Her research has been supported by SSHRC, Canada Council, Fullbright and E.A.G.L.E... She has organized many conferences always focusing on Native Elders guiding scholars in indigenous knowledge.
      Kanata Native Dance Theater
      A group of professional artists from the Six Nations of the Grand. The Mohawk word means "community" and its acronym stands for Keeping American Native Arts and Traditions Alive. The dancers have performed at national and international festivals including Harbourfront, the Unity Ride Concert and the McMichael Canadian Gallery.

      Janice Longboat
      Mohawk Nation, Turtle Clan now living at Six Nations. She is a Traditional Teacher, counselor and herbalist. Her vision is to support healthy Aboriginal families and communities by Traditional Aboriginal healing ways. She has taught at universities and colleges at
      Hamilton, Toronto and Brantford and grows and prepares traditional plant medicines

      Larry McCleod-Shabogesic
      An Elder and educator who resides in Nipissing with his wife Darlene and family. Larry constructs Traditional Birch Bark Canoes and is a keeper of the Medicines.

      Nikki Manitowabi
      A member of the Wikwemikong Unceded Nation on Manitoulin Island. She is of Pottawatomi/Odawa descent. Nikki derives many of the ideas in her paintings from observations and experiences with her children.

      Shelley Niro
      A Mohawk woman originally from Six Nations. She has been involved in the arts for a number of years and has earned a Masters Degree at the University of Western Ontario. Shelley works with oils. She is a film maker who has received accolades for her award winning film "Honey Moccasin"

      Ogitchitaw Kwe Og (which means Warrior Women)
      A group of mostly Anishinawbe singing women. They are quite a peace loving group and are here to share their strength and wisdom The creator has gifted each of the women in the singing group with a voice to share and sing with. Their songs have been passed on from generation to generation in the oral tradition. They hope that the songs they sing will help others who are on
      their own healing journeys.

      Mary Lou Smoke
      From Batchawana Bay, Ontario. Born to Ojibway parents, she is a writer, singer, guitarist, traditional drummer and shaker player as well as an actress having been featured in the Vagina Monologues as performed as a fund raiser for the Sexual Assault Center on March 8th, 2003. Mary Lou and her husband Dan often work together conducting opening and closing ceremonies as well as Sacred Sweat Lodge Ceremonies. They co-host a radio news magazine called Smoke Signals First Nations Radio and have been community commentators on the news for the "New PL" for the past three and a half years commentating on Native issues for CFPL television of London, owned by CITY TV.

      Dan Smoke - Asayenes
      From the Seneca Nation of the Iroquois Confederacy, Kildeer Clan. He grew up on the Grand River territory and now lives in London. He is a lifetime member of the Onondaga Long hous e traditional way of life and part of the Native Circle at the Museum London. Dan is a conductor and spiritual teacher at Sunrise Ceremonies marking special occasions. Dan and his wife, Mary Lou were honoured by London's Mayor for their work in Humanitarianism in the year 2000.

      Drew Hayden Taylor
      An award winning playwright, journalist and screenwriter from the Curve Lake First Nations (Ojibway). In his vast career, he has written eleven books, had over fifty productions of his plays seen around the world, directed, written or worked on at least eighteen documentaries about Native culture, written for five television series, and is the author of a humourous column appearing in several Native News publications.

      HISTORY OF THE ORGANIZATION
      The Gathering of the Good Minds Committee was formed in the year 2000, initially motivated by a local Native Rights support group called Wiich Ke Yig. Wiich Ke Yig is an Ojibway word which translates into "Friends Who Walk With Us". Wiich Ke Yig is a group of Native and non-Native volunteers working together for increased understanding and justice. Encouraging others to join in the work of healing our people, our spirit, and our Earth, until peace, justice and respect are extended to all First Nations. With the desire to continue to organize a major cultural event in London Wiich Ke Yig formed the planning committee involving more Native and non-Native members.
      Individuals from many sectors of the community have come together to plan, organize and participate in a Festival to educate the Native and non-Native public about traditional arts, culture and wisdom of the Aboriginal peoples.
      In 2001, the committee was successful in the implementation of the first Festival. The Gathering of the Good Minds Festival is made possible as the result of many dedicated volunteers and several organizations providing support services and resources including Wiich Ke Yig, Museum London, Museum of Archeology, Nokee Kwe, N'Amerind Friendship Centre, At^loshsa Family Healing Centre and the Children's Museum.

      This event and the many groups and people involved in the non-Native community, want to promote a better understanding and co-operation with Native people. We believe that increased knowledge will bring peace and just relationships between Native and non-Natives.

      Through the activities of Wiich Ke Yig, small steps to education non-Native Canadians about traditional Native spirituality and culture, that is, the values and teachings that nurtured a healthy Earth and mankind's proper place with the Circle of Life. An important way to attain this goal is through the celebration of the arts and by demonstrating the vital role art has always played in all facets of Native life.

      SOME PAST ACTIVITIES INITIATED AND ORGANIZED BY WIICH KE YIG:
      Beginning in 1990 - monthly meetings has been held to consider organization policy, plan special events, and to provide program activities and to promote our goals. Since 1991, approximately four events per year have been organized by members to Wiich Ke Yig for the London area. A sample of these include:
      . a conversation on healing with Elder Art Solomon
      . participation in the Camp Ipperwash demonstration to serve the military with an eviction notice, followed by ongoing lobbying on behalf of the Stoney Point people
      . support of David Suzuki's book launch at the University of Western Ontario - the Wisdom of the Elders
      . a protest at the London International Air Show in support of the Innu's problems with low flying planes.
      . the successful appeal to Correction Services Canada regarding inmate Randy Charboneau.
      . the organization of a Film Festival on four Saturdays culminating in a panel discussion on the "Gene Hunters".
      . A dinner/dance and fund raising benefit concert with Murray Porter
      . Native Prisoner's Justice Day: organized a seminar for prisoners, their relatives and other volunteers. As a result a committee has been formed to offer continuing assistance and visitations to prisoners.
      . Prayer circles for Dudley George on March 17th (1996-2002)
      . Hosting of the premiere of the movie "Smoke Signals"
      . A week-end workshop on "Aboriginal Awareness" facilitated by the Aboriginal Rights Coalition but organized by Wii ch Ke Yig
      . Joint venture with London's N'Amerind Friendship Centre in organizing a large Native Art Show entitled "Listen to the Drums".

      IN ADDITION:
      Since 1992 Wiich Ke Yig has supported and participated in National Aboriginal Solidarity Day, including a Sunrise Ceremony every June 21st, which is now attended by an almost equal number of Native and non- Native Londoners.

      Two special commemorative trees have been planted:
      . In 1991, a White Pine Tree Planting Ceremony was held in the London Peace Garden in remembrance of those involved in Oka. Each year on July 11th, people gather at the Tree of Peace to lay down tobacco, pray, sing and awe at the size of the tree.
      . On September 6, 1996 a Tree of Peace was planted in the federal building courtyard, and included a permanent plaque in memory of Dudley George, followed by the bi-annual remembrance ceremonies from 1996 to present.
      . Beginning in 1996, a sub-committee of Wiich Ke Yig has supported Native Justice and Spirituality with a monthly ceremony and information meetings at the Unitarian Fellowship.

      Over the past few years members of Wiich Ke Yig have placed a heavy emphasis on justice issues and were very successful in the first presentation of The > Gathering of the Good Minds - so now, we want to continue working together to do it again.

      Everyone is Welcome and Admission to all events is free.

      All My Relations
      Dan Smoke-Asayenes & Mary Lou Smoke-Asayenes Kwe
      Smoke Signals First Nations Radio, CHRW, 94.7 FM
      Outstanding Multicultural Program for 2003
      #1 Campus & Community Radio Station in Canada
      Sundays 6:00 - 8:00 p.m., <http://www.chrwradio.com/>www.chrwradio.com
      519 659-4682 fax: 5l9 453-3676
      <http://www.thegatheringofgoodminds.netfirms.com/>www.thegatheringofgoodminds.netfirms.com
      PM loses interest in unpopular native bill<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
      Chrétien now says there's no urgency for governance act

      Bill <?xml:namespace prefix = st2 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas:contacts" />Curry, CanWest News Service
      Copyright 2003 The Ottawa Citizen

      Sunday, August 24, 2003

      IQALUIT, Nunavut -- Critics of Prime Minister Jean Chrétien's controversial First Nations Governance Act are declaring victory following commennts from the PM that passing the bill is not urgent, despite the fact he will soon retire from politics.

      "It's done like dinner," said NDP MP Pat Martin, who stopped the bill from from receiving House of Commons approval in June by staging an unprecedented filibuster in committee that on several occasions lasted through the night.

      The First Nations Governance Act, known in Parliament as Bill C-7, was featured prominently in the September 2002 throne speech and was frequently referred to by the prime minister in explaining why he needed to remain in office until February 2004.

      "This is a bill that is not to be implemented for the next two, three years anyway," Mr. Chrétien said yesterday.

      "In the bill there is a clause that this bill will not be in effect until two years after the passage by the Senate, so it's not an urgent, urgent piece of legislation because there is a delay to that. But we have to keep working because there are some problems that need to be solved there and (Indian Affairs) MInister (Robert) Nault has been (consulting) and there will be more consultation, but there is always a time when you have to decide."

      The legislation, which imposes minimum standards for First Nations leaders regarding elections and financial reporting, has been harshly criticized by the Assembly of First Nations and the bill's progress in the House has been delayed by procedural tactics from the NDP and Bloc Québécois.

      Liberal leadership front-runner Paul Martin has also expressed concern with the bill and told a group of Liberal senators this summer he would be open to having the legislation changed significantly should it make it to the upper chamber.

      Mr. Chrétien's change in tone comes as political observers speculate on how Parliament's fall session will unfold given that it will be known by late September whether Mr. Martin has enough votes to win the November leadership vote on the first ballot. Mr. Chrétien toyed with the press at last week's Liberal caucus meeting in North Bay, at times suggesting he may retire early, then stating later he intends to remain as prime minister until February 2004.

      MP Pat Martin said the prime minister appears to have realized he no longer has the political capital to force the bill through Parliament, given the comments that have been made by the Liberal leadership front-runner.

      Mr. Chrétien was speaking yesterday in Iqaluit, Nunavut, where he announced the creation of Ukkusiksalik National Park on the northwestern shore of Hudson's Bay at Wager Bay.

      Several speakers praised Mr. Chrétien for his work with the Inuit people over the past 40 years.

      "He is someone who had to fight his way up, but his heart and conviction led him to great heights," said Nunavut Premier Paul Okalik.