CBC - NB - Burnt Church still without a fishing deal

  • Senior Staff
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2001
      From: " JJ.Bear" <jj.bear@...>

      Burnt Church still without a fishing deal

      MONCTON, N.B. - There's still no fishing agreement between the native
      community of Burnt Church and the federal government and no new negotiations
      are underway.

      'There's a need to re-establish the working relationship and get some trust
      back into the process'
      The fall fishery at Burnt Church is just a couple of weeks away. Last fall,
      confrontations between native fishermen and the Department of Fisheries and
      Oceans turned violent.

      Bob Allain, Regional Director of the DFO hopes similar problems can be
      avoided this year. Allain says the department, the RCMP and federal justice
      officials are working hard to rebuild trust.

      "You don't go from a situation that we had last year into a situation today
      where people are talking about a long-term agreement," he says. "There's a
      real disconnect there. There's a need to re-establish the working
      relationship and get some trust back into this process."

      Allain says the two sides are still talking, although not formally. He says
      enforcement plans for the fall fishery are ready, but he hopes the
      department won't have to use them.

      [If you got here from frontpage Native News Online, click here to return: http://216.97.43.231/ ]

      Reprinted under the Fair Use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html doctrine of international copyright law. Full copyright retained by the original publication.
      Tsonkwadiyonrat (We are ONE Spirit)
      http://nativenewsonline.org/
      Native News Online
      a Service of Barefoot Connection

      "The true movement isn't a thing, or some collective entity of people, or even any person. It has no form or structure and so can't be distributed, or possessed, or detained. No one else can exclude you, as you must invite yourself." - Rush (When We Were Iron)
      FREE LEONARD PELTIER!! "YOU ~ARE~ THE MESSAGE"