FNG-Indian Act consultations put on hold for 30 days

  • Senior Staff
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2001
      from: Don <dbain@...>

      Indian Act consultations put on hold
      By STEPHEN THORNE-- The Canadian Press
      http://www.canoe.ca/CNEWSTopNews/ind_jul31-cp.html

      HULL, Que. (CP) -- Federal consultations on a new Indian Act will be put
      on hold for 30 days while government and native leaders discuss how to
      proceed, Indian Affairs Minister Robert Nault said Tuesday.

      The development came after strong protests from some native leaders who
      threatened to blockade roads and mount other disruptive protests if
      there was no change in the process they say steamrolls over their
      concerns.

      "We'll get right at it -- the sooner, the better," Nault said after an
      hour-long meeting with Matthew Coon Come, grand chief of the Assembly of
      First Nations.

      "The consultation process will continue but we have agreed, for the sake
      of our relationship and to give time for the work plan to be put
      together, that we'll have a 30-day cooling off period."

      Nault said the two sides will talk about changes to the act, their
      overall relationship and concerns expressed by the assembly at its
      annual meeting in Halifax in July.

      The minister said he expects to have a better idea where they're headed
      within 10 days to two weeks.

      Coon Come came to the meeting ostensibly to deliver a 30-day ultimatum
      from the 700,000-member assembly he heads for Nault to abandon
      consultations on how to revamp the 125-year-old act.

      More than 200 such meetings have been held since May. The latest, Monday
      at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, attracted only about a dozen
      people, some of whom were suspicious of federal aims.

      "Let us talk among ourselves and then we can come to the federal
      government and talk," said Lewis Cardinal, a First Nations member who
      directs the office of native student services at the university.

      The 633 chiefs have boycotted the process, saying it's too rushed and
      narrowly focused to allow real input on legislation, expected later this
      fall.

      The chiefs threatened an "aggressive strategic plan of action" across
      Canada should Nault refuse to include them in a broader, longer term
      consultation.

      Coon Come wouldn't comment Tuesday on the status of those threats, which
      include the prospect of highway blockades.

      He said part of the work plan will address issues such as health,
      housing and economic development -- all of primary concern to the
      chiefs.

      Those issues were also mentioned in the Liberal throne speech that
      opened Parliament in January, Coon Come pointed out. "We'll find a
      solution; we'll find a way."

      Said Nault: "I think as leaders -- no matter whether we're on the
      federal government side or in First Nations communities -- we all want
      our citizens to tell us what they think about how we can move together
      down the road."

      [If you got here from frontpage Native News Online, click here to return: http://216.97.43.231/ ]

      Reprinted under the Fair Use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html doctrine of international copyright law. Full copyright retained by the original publication.
      Tsonkwadiyonrat (We are ONE Spirit)
      http://nativenewsonline.org/
      Native News Online
      a Service of Barefoot Connection

      "The true movement isn't a thing, or some collective entity of people, or even any person. It has no form or structure and so can't be distributed, or possessed, or detained. No one else can exclude you, as you must invite yourself." - Rush (When We Were Iron)
      FREE LEONARD PELTIER!! "YOU ~ARE~ THE MESSAGE"