Arctic College to hire more Inuit employees

  • Lessard, George
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2003
      Arctic College to hire more Inuit employees

      Monday - March 31, 2003 - 17:30
      CBC Iqaluit Regional News Summary

      Nunavut Arctic College wants to hire more Inuit employees. At a meeting this
      weekend in Cambridge Bay, the college's board of governors discussed a new
      Inuit employment plan. As Matthew Ilaszewicz reports, it has some employees
      talking about replacing themselves.

      At the end of December Nunavut Arctic College had the lowest percentage of
      Inuit employees compared to all the other government boards and departments
      in Nunavut. Only 27 per cent of the employees at the college were Inuit. As
      of Friday, that number had risen to 39 per cent. Mac Clendenning (sp) says
      the number's still lower than they would like. Clendenning is the President
      of Nunavut Arctic College.
      "In the term that I have, when I leave, if I don't have someone lined up to
      replace me who's a beneficiary then I won't feel that I've been as
      successful in what I've set out to do as I would like to be."

      Clendenning says they would like to see Inuit make up at least 85 per cent
      of the college's workforce. Laura Kowmuk (sp) says that's achievable. Kowmuk
      is the vice chair of the Nunavut Arctic College Board of Governors. She is
      also the chief executive officer of Kivalliq Partners. Kowmuk says Inuit
      hold eight of the nine positions in her organization. She says she does
      small things to make their work life easier.

      "If they have no babysitter they can come and bring their child. Not all the
      time, but I do encourage that. Those are the kind of little incentives that
      encourage staff to stay."

      Kowmuk says she wants the Nunavut Arctic College to hire more Inuit in
      management positions. Right now only one of the 21 managers is an Inuk. But
      President Mac Clendenning says another Inuk manager will come onboard in
      April. Clendenning says he will bring a broader Inuit employment plan to the
      next board meeting in June. Matthew Ilaszewicz, CBC News, Cambridge Bay.