IQALUIT, NUNAVUT: Suspicion, distrust prompted Ell to quit

  • Senior Staff
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2001
      Suspicion, distrust prompted Ell to quit
      http://north.cbc.ca/cgi-bin/templates/view.cgi?/news/2001/05/31/31ellquit

      IQALUIT, NUNAVUT - The former president of the Qikiqtaaluk Corporation says he quit the development organization because he was tired of accusations of wrongdoing. Jerry Ell quit last week, saying during the five years he was at the corporation's helm, his activities were investigated twice.

      The latest was an audit this past spring.

      Ell says he was cleared of any wrongdoing both times, but the suspicion was hard to take.

      "There's always an element of trust between the board of directors and senior management," he says. "I can deal with criticism from outside. When that criticism comes from inside, it's more difficult to swallow, and certainly that influenced my decision to go."

      Ell says the investigations weren't the main reason he decided to leave.

      He says personal events, including the recent death of his father, forced him to re-think his future.

      Ell says he realized it was time to move on to other challenges.

      Links Hear a complete interview with Jerry Ell on the Nunavut Radio Page.
      http://north.cbc.ca/north/radionunavut.html
      [If you got here from frontpage Native News Online, click here to return: http://216.97.43.231/ ]

      Reprinted under the Fair Use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html doctrine of international copyright law. Full copyright retained by the original publication.
      Tsonkwadiyonrat (We are ONE Spirit)
      http://nativenewsonline.org/
      Native News Online
      a Service of Barefoot Connection

      "The true movement isn't a thing, or some collective entity of people, or even any person. It has no form or structure and so can't be distributed, or possessed, or detained. No one else can exclude you, as you must invite yourself." - Rush (When We Were Iron)
      FREE LEONARD PELTIER!! "YOU ~ARE~ THE MESSAGE"