Nunavut's Education Minister Kilabuk opposes standardized testing

  • Lessard, George
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2002
      Kilabuk opposes standardized testing

      Thursday - December 5, 2002 - 7:30
      CBC Iqaluit Regional News Summary

      Nunavut's Education Minister Peter Kilabuk says he's not in favour of
      standardized testing in the territory's schools at this time. Kilabuk says
      the testing could only be done in English. He says that wouldn't reflect the
      situation in the territory's educational system. Kilabuk says students here
      are learning in more than one language.

      "For our department to review the tests we have to take into consideration
      the different languages and subjects that are being taught in the school and
      this is especially true with Inuktitut and Inuinnaqtun for which there are
      no standardized testing methods in place now."

      The Iqaluit District Education Authority has been pushing for standardized
      testing based on the Alberta curriculum used in schools. Iqaluit Centre MLA
      Hunter Tootoo says the schools need the testing to identify problems with
      the curriculum and make improvements.