Gathering Place News Special : Seton Lake Indian Band will be stopping the Cariboo Prospector

  • Ishgooda, Senior Staff
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2002
      Gathering Place First Nations Canadian News Special
      October 28, 2002
      <> <><><> <><><> <><><> <><><> <><><> <><>
      PRESS RELEASE
      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

      Tslalh, St'st'imc Territory
      October 31, 2002

      Today the members of the Seton Lake Indian Band will be stopping the Cariboo Prospector as it makes it's farewell journey from North Vancouver to Lillooet and back. The Budd Carr passenger service is the latest victim of the Campbell Government and should be a wakeup call for the people of British Columbia.

      "We have already felt the impact of this government's decision making with the loss of legal services, courthouses as well as cutbacks to the Ministry for Children and Families, the Ministry of Forests and the Ministry of Education" Chief Garry John said from his office in Shalalth.

      "Today our community warns the government that any moves toward privatization of BC Rail and BC Hydro will be met with resistance. When these two companies developed their infrastructure it was built on our land."

      "We plan to express our sentiments to this government that we will not sit idly while services that our people rely on are eliminated one by one. We hope that others who are concerned will begin to make their sentiments known as soon as possible" concluded Chief John.

      Both northbound and southbound passenger trains will be stopped for a short time as community members bid farewell to the Prospector and the many friends who work on the Cariboo Prospector.

      For more information please call
      Chief Garry John: 250-259-8227

      --

      Established in 1969, the Union of British Columbia Indian Chiefs is a political organization protecting the Aboriginal Title and Rights of our member communities. We are based in Kamloops and have an office in Vancouver. For further details visit our website at <http://www.ubcic.bc.ca>http://www.ubcic.bc.ca

      <> <><><> <><><> <><><> <><><> <><><> <><>
      * This news letter is © And is the property of
      Gathering Place First Nations ,Canadian News
      Compiled by Sharon Green
      **Special Thanks to ©Sunhill Production for the photos that were used to make Gathering Place First Nations Canadian News logo
      *** If you would like our News and Special Reports sent out to you, your family , friends or to your list Please Ask....
      We would be more then happy to send it to anyone but
      Please Respect that this is someone's work and Ask......Contact me at <mailto:gatheringplace@...>gatheringplace@...
      Sharon
      on:en
      Gathering Place First Nations Canadian News
      <http://www.gatheringplacefirstnationscanews.com/>http://www.gatheringplacefirstnationscanews.com/
      Never befriend the oppressed
      unless you are prepared to
      take on the oppressor.